I've had a goal in mind for this summer ... to swim across the lake, from the swim dock to the base of the mountain.
Here's a fish-eye view of what I set out to accomplish ~
{the waterfront looks different now with our new inflatable waterpark!}
I've been sharing my goal with my good friends here and they have been nothing but encouraging. Sharon offered to kayak beside me across the lake and in return I offered to kayak beside her when she swims AROUND the lake. JL and I have been strategizing how we'll get both of us over at the same time. Once she gets back from her holidays, it's go time!
Sharon and I were discussing the plan last night and she suggested we go early this morning. The weather forecast looked stellar, and we could go early enough to get home in time to send our hubbies off to work. I met her on her deck at 7:00 and we tiptoed through the forest. We gasped when we saw the mist rising off the clear, calm lake.
It looked a lot like this ...

She went down to the beach to get in a kayak and I walked to the swim dock. I tested the water with my feet first and was happy to discover how comfortably warm the water was. I was nervous about it being too cold so early in the morning. I dove in. I told her not to watch me dive as my technique is seriously lacking, but after the fact I thought it was a decent dive. Too bad she missed it. If my diving technique is lacking, my swim stroke abilities are even less to write home about. I was most comfortable on my back, though it was not identifiable as any particular stroke. I did a bit of cherry pickin' and a breast stroke that could easily be mistaken for a doggy paddle. I took the term "freestyle" to a whole new level! She helped keep me in a straight line across the lake and only had to reel me back on track a few times. The sunshine was blocked by the mountain about half way across, and being in the shade meant that I was getting closer. She said "You're half way there!" I said, "I'm half way to the half way point" because I still had to get all the way back across from whence we came! I had a few moments of discombobulation as the buoyancy of the water played tricks on me. I never felt afraid, just daunted by the distance. As we neared the base of the mountain, she pointed to a black and yellow iron triangle hanging on a post. "What's that?" said I. "That's the triangle" said she. "That's what you touch when you swim across the lake. Welcome to the club!" I didn't know there was a triangle to touch but you can bet I scaled the slimy rocks to reach up and touch it. SHE hasn't ever even touched it. *ahem* She's done the swim a'plenty, just not touched the triangle. I had accidentally taken in a few too many swallows of water, so after waiting for a big burp, it was time to head back. Before launching again, I picked a few little shoots of these cute little succulents that grow on the rocks. I've planted them in a pail on my front porch. I think I'll call them Mountain Swim plants.
{My Mountain Swims add to my new succulent garden. Plants that can handle a great deal of neglect and actually multiply themselves? That's my kind of gardening! I rescued the big metal box from my brother's back yard, after I heard it was heading to the dump. It's a perfect fit for this spot on our deck that has a dangerous potential for people to mis-step and fall over the edge. I'm thinking about planting something in those rubber boots as well, just not sure exactly what yet.}
For the swim back, I realized my regret for not wearing goggles, as I kept getting water in my eyes while doing my very own special version of a backstroke. The swim back to the dock was much easier, but I sure was tired when we reached the end! As a grand finale to my swim, I ducked under the log at the dock and took in far too much water through my nose. A cough and sputter later, I climbed the ladder onto the dock with Sharon's congratulatory remarks.
We made our way home and I crashed on my bed - soaked and a bit cold, waiting for Paul to get out of the shower. When he was done and out the door with all three boys, I had a looooong shower and then a brief nap until they came home and needed my care and attention. It wasn't easy, but wasn't as hard as I thought it was, and I'll do it again. Next time (not tomorrow, as per Sharon's suggestion!) I'll take my camera as far as the beach and see about timing myself to make it faster every time. Paul wanted me home by 8:00 and I walked in at 7:40.
That, my friends, is the story of my first swim to the triangle on the mountain.




Congratulations - that is amazing!
ReplyDeleteThat is a really awesome story!! I felt like I was right there with you (and I wish I was). Good for you, as that is a fantastic accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteGO RACHEL!!!!!!!!!!!! that's SO awesome! Swimming is a tiring exercise - go you!
ReplyDeletelove those little plants :)
love the way you wrote about taking in too much water...through your mouth and nose ;)
That's awesome Rachel. Way to go!
ReplyDeleteWow! Way to go, Rach! I bet you didn't think you would be doing something like that a year ago, eh? So awesome to have encouraging friends, too!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story--and amazing pictures!! It's so great you accomplished your goal, and that you'd even do it again. Very inspiring!
ReplyDeleteso proud of you rachel! way to go!
ReplyDeleteand i love your garden box:)
nice work, Rach! swimming is such good, fun, exercise!! ...and you found the bucket you were looking for! good thing you didn't pay for one at that antique store in Clearwater....
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment! Yes, 3 kids does seem like a long time ago, especially when I now have 2 teenagers in the house! How's the homeschooling going?
ReplyDelete