Wednesday, January 13, 2010

and now a new decade!*

* New Title:  and now the last year of the decade! (see my Dad's comment below)

sheesh, I'm so far behind.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to put my blog on a bit of a hiatus.  I've got a few other things going on that I need to give my attention to.  I will still post now and then about our family's goings-on, but am taking the pressure off myself to keep totally up to date.  As I post pictures to Facebook, I'll be sure to link to them from here.

First of all, there's the whole thing about running a household and raising children.  I need to focus more on doing that well, not just documenting the highlights.

I already shared about my new business as a Consultant with Epicure Selections.  This endeavor is going very well, and I'm enjoying the social outlet and the financial income! I am currently booking parties for February.  It will fill up fast, so be sure to let me know if you'd like to earn some of these fabulous products for free.

My other distraction is a 15-week weight loss competition that I've joined.  Based on my BMI, I am just barely in the "overweight" category.  I know that finally losing these extra pregnancy pounds will have a profound impact on all aspects of my life.  The competition is called "Biggest Loser At Home", and is loosely based on The Biggest Loser show on Tuesday nights.  My friend Kelly initiated a competition in the fall, and I thought about joining but chickened out.  When I saw the success she had with the challenge - and when I heard that she won the $250 prize payout - I was thrilled to hear she'd be facilitating another round of "B.L.A.H." Apt title, no?  She has set up a private blog where we can all contribute our story, goals, pictures (gasp!), updates, recipes, tips, etc.) It's a $25.00 buy in, and there are at least TWENTY SIX ladies registered.  You do the math. Won't that be a delightful shopping spree for me in May?!  After reading everyone's introductions on the blog, I suggested to Kelly that anyone who can't discern the proper spelling for 'lose' and 'loose' really ought to be disqualified. She didn't go for it. 

My plan to reach my goal of losing 20 pounds by April 27th is to significantly increase my physical activity and drastically reduce my intake of unhealthy food.  (Sounds so simple!)  Paul is also carefully changing his eating habits, so it's nice to be working on the same goal.  Yesterday, the first day of the competition, I overdid it on the exercising.  I ran around the block for a total of about 5 minutes (pushing Max & Jax in the stroller - we had walked Marty to pre-school), then came home and finally cracked open the 30 Day Shred work-out DVD that I bought last spring. I really thought I would perish.  No joke.  It took me close to an hour to recover.  This evening I did the Shred again and was surprised with how much easier it was.  I did the modified version of a lot of the exercises, so I'll be sure to do them properly before moving to Level 2.  Max did it with me yesterday, and he cried when I told him we wouldn't be moving on to Level 2 after the credits rolled for Level 1.  He used his big yellow rain boots as hand weights.  He and Marty both joined me this evening and put in a valiant and energetic effort.  I will not share my "before" pictures here, but look forward to showing off the "afters" in May.

And so ... I'm not gone forever, that's for sure.  Just putting the word out that blogging on this here site won't be a major priority for a while.  I'll still be reading blogs, and will try to comment if I can.

Happy New Year!

13 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your after pictures in May! How exciting if you win. That is quite the prize money!!! As long as we get pictures of the boys, I will be happy. You are making it mighty tempting to join Facebook.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. updated the post a bit, go back and read it again. And I won't give up on getting you on Facebook, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should get bonus points for good spelling. Sounds like the boys are quite the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kai used to love those videos with me too. He can't wait until I"m better as he asks about them at least one a week:) YOu can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are up to good things, Rach. Keep it up ..... but
    Arrrgh! Spelling is one thing but getting the decade-thing screwed up is almost inexcusable. Granted, every new year is the beginning of a new ten-year period but if you are talking about decades since the beginning of our year-counting system, the new decade doesn't begin until January 1, 2011. The mistake people make is that they assume there is a year "0". "0" is not a year, it is a point in time. As brother Colin explains it from there, hold up your decade (TEN) of fingers in front of you and count them. The decade isn't over until the tenth finger (2010) is counted and finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth (Bloggy Mama)January 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM

    You go girl!!! Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad, you're technically right...but are we not in the eleventh year the 21st century? I don't count my age as "one" until I've lived a whole year, and thus I am in my second year of life when I am said to be "one." Therefore, the decade previous began in the year 2000, and therefore ended at the end of 2009. Or maybe I'm wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep at it Rachel! You can do it. It will help if the boys are into the exercise too. Mine whine and complain when I throw a video in or climb all over me...but they are slowly getting over that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul, your first four words and your last four words are correct. . No, we are not in the 11th year of the 21st century. We are in the 10th year of the decade. Year 2000 was a year - the last year of the previous decade and so 2010 is the last year of the present decade. The beginning of the previous decade and the end of the one before that was a point in time (not a year) at the end of the 2000th year. Therefore, the current decade will end at the point in time between 24:00 December 31, 2010 and 00:00 January 1, 2011. So, only about 350 days to go before the decade is over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Rachel, seeing as how you still have about 350 days left in the current decade, do you still feel "so far behind"?

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, yes I do, because I've had quite a slacker year when it comes to posting to my blog. The time will come again. Maybe in this decade, maybe not until the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, a baby is 13 months old...they are 1 year old, but they are in their 2nd year of life, correct? But, was 0AD a year or did it go from 1BC to 1AD at "a point in time?"
    If 0.AD was one year and it began at 0, then it would take 10 years (3650 days) to get to the end of 9AD (That moment in time between 24:00 9AD and 0:00 10AD). Therefore, the end of that decade came in 9AD and a new decade began in 10AD. Unless, of course, 0BC wasn't a year and they started at 1AD, in which case, as was previously and graciously mentioned above, I just might be incorrect for the first time in my entire existence!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are getting there Paul. Your first paragraph is correct but then you start following a false premise when you say "If 0 AD was [were] one year ...." It wasn't. "0" was neither AD nor BC it was the presumed moment of the birth of Jesus. For Mary's sake I hope the birth didn't take a year. The 365 days prior to that moment was 1 BC; the 365 days after was 1 AD. It took a whole year to complete the first year of the decade. Hence, it took 10 whole years (i.e., to the end of 10 AD) to complete the first decade. It is encouraging to see in your post (@7:11 pm) that you got yourself back on the right track by the end of the post. The end of every decade is December 31 in a year ending in "0". The end of every century is December 31 in a year ending in "00". The end of every millenium is December 31 in a year ending in "000".

    ReplyDelete