It is at times when my questions are the most confusing
that the sovereignty of God matters the most.
(Quote taken from my mom's Facebook status.)
The day after my last post made me pause and not want to just write about the little goings on of our life. Yes, the little things are significant, but not so much when I consider the reality of what others are facing ...
A 56 year-old friend suffered a massive stroke and died two days later. She leaves behind her husband, their 4 grown daughters and 8 grandchildren. She will be dearly missed by the thousands of individuals whose lives she touched.
I returned home from her funeral to see a fire truck and two ambulances parked in the driveway and on the road outside our next-door neighbour's home. 72 year-old Bill had been trimming his trees. After being scolded by his wife and another neighbour, he began to make his way out of the tree and back onto the ladder. He stepped on a branch that broke beneath his weight and he fell to the ground. He is paralyzed from the chest down. Paul has offered several times to help him with his yardwork, and it seems it was just too hard for him to let go of the things he used to do with ease.
A 51 year-old friend and mentor to me has been diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. She has begun treatments and the prognosis is good. Her faith in the One who holds her life in His hands is strong. She is the heart of her large and loving family, and they are devoted to her care during this frightening time.
A 40-something mom of 2 adopted daughters has been told she is at significant risk to develop breast cancer. She will undergo a double mastectomy on May 11th.
A 30-something friend of my sister was widowed 8 years ago after her husband lost a battle with an aggressive stomach cancer. She was left with a not-quite 3 year-old and a 3 week-old infant. Last month her father died suddenly and unexpectedly.
Several friends have empty arms, longing for a baby of their own. There are no easy answers to lessen the ache in their hearts.
God is God - Steven Curtis Chapman
And the pain falls like a curtain
On the things I once called certain
And I have to say the words I fear the most
"I just don’t know"
And the questions without answers
Come and paralyze the dancer
So I stand here on the stage afraid to move
Afraid to fall, oh, but fall I must
On this truth that my life has been formed from the dust
God is God and I am not
I can only see a part of the picture He’s painting
God is God and I am man
So I’ll never understand it all
For only God is God
And the sky begins to thunder
And I’m filled with awe and wonder
‘Til the only burning question that remains
Is who am I
Can I form a single mountain
Take the stars in hand and count them
Can I even take a breath without God giving it to me
He is first and last before all that has been
Beyond all that will pass
Oh, how great are the riches of His wisdom and knowledge
How unsearchable for to Him and through
Him and from Him are all things
So let us worship before the throne
Of the One who is worthy of worship alone
You always make me think. My problems seem so big to me, yet they are so trivial. Stress? BAH! Try a diagnosis of cancer.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are with those that need them. My heart, with yours, Rachel.
It is so good to put things into perspective. There are so many needs out there. It is such a reminder for me to be thankful for everything. I want to say more but am struggling to find the right words.
ReplyDeleteYour mom's quote and the song you selected for the blog, say it all.
ReplyDeleteWow. hmm, perspective.
ReplyDeleteI hope this makes sense...In regards to your first paragraph, I think that by recognizing and celebrating the day to day things you are respecting the fact that life is short, we are not the ones in control, and it shows that you are appreciating everything you have and just the day to day....As a young woman who has lost her mom to cancer and has had to see her dad go through it too, I really like to see others appreciating their lives and not complaining so much...there's a lot of complainers out there:)
ReplyDeleteSuch a good perspective on it, Louise. I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess I just couldn't bring myself to talk about the happy cheerful normal things when so many people around me are experiencing the opposite. For someone facing hardships like you have and my friends are, focusing on the normal every day things is part of the healing. It's a tricky balance.
ReplyDelete