He really thinks he has two middle names - 'a' and 'million'. He has no middle name.
He is learning to navigate the sometimes muddy waters of friendships. He now knows that it's really going to be okay when someone says they're not "best friends" anymore. Maybe that wasn't such a great friend to begin with. He's also learning that he doesn't need to have a steady supply of their favourite food to ensure best friendship.

He sleeps like a wintering bear in the morning, and can rarely be roused by his Dad on his way out the door to work. But if Dad gives up and goes out the door to work and starts up his truck - Max is up in a flash and calling out the door for hugs and kisses. Hugs and kisses at bedtime do not permit a parent to leave the house without his knowledge. If one of us leaves just after tucking him to bed, he requires a new set of hugs and kisses. He told me today that even though he's 6 he still likes to hold my hand. He tells me that he loves me.
Every parting also includes: "Bye! Chowder! See ya latte!"

He shares the instigation of squabbles with his biggest little brother. He came in the house the other day, crying hysterically, because he felt one of the neighbourhood kids had intentionally hurt that very same biggest little brother.

Yesterday he asked for a new Bandaid ... "But not a waterproof one, because they don't work. You put it in the water, and it comes off. Do you think we should tell Bandaid about that?" I don't know why he would ever need a waterproof Bandaid.

Four months ago he was cautious, tentative, and hesitant to go faster than a snail's pace on his bike with training wheels. Something clicked, and now he goes around and around the cul-de-sac and up and down hills at top speed. We got him an early birthday present of arm/elbow and knee/shin guards and a more substantial helmet.

He has 3 adult teeth! This boy is growing up. I don't wish for him to stay little forever, because then I'd never know who he will be. I just hope my heart can take it.

My Mom & Dad gave him Dr. Seuss' "Oh, the Places You'll Go" for his birthday.
I had never read it before and don't think there could be a better commentary on turning 6.
Look out, world!
* Photos from July 8, 2010 while Max was at Day Camp at Clearwater Bible Camp. *
Happy 6 years Max!!! I can't believe you were a small toddler learning to walk and talk when I first met you. Now you are getting so big and so caring.
ReplyDeleteWhat's not to love about that muddy, toothless face?
ReplyDeleteSuch a great post. Please share the story of the mud bath!!!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to mention that. It's from Day Camp at Clearwater Bible Camp. I'll edit the post to add that.
ReplyDeletegreat post rach.
ReplyDeleteoh my dearest max - how i wish i could watch you grow up...i know you'll turn out to be an incredible man - you have amazing parents. just wish i wasn't so far away - maybe you could teach kai how to be brave on her bike if we lived closer? miss you all so very much!
ReplyDeleteYonita! xoxo
ReplyDeleteLove the muddy face pictures!! They do grow up so fast, I don't know if my heart can take it either.
ReplyDeleteHope you're having a great Summer! (I can see that Max is!)
So..now I have tears... I love your Max...such a great little boy..all your boys are dear to me. Maybe because mine are so close in age (and Jaxon and Sophie seem to already be betrothed according to Jax)...but yours are so wonderful and I love this post and I hope our little men always have that tenderness in their hearts. Seeing all those boys on sunday made me excited for what potential they all have....Love that! Thanks for this post :)
ReplyDeleteaw, thanks Lizzie. We're quite fond of your little family too. We really ought to get EVERYONE together at the same time!
ReplyDeleteThis brought a tear to Grandma's eye and it isn't even new to me. Who knew that the mud pit pics could provide such a great back drop for the story of a six year old boy.
ReplyDeleteRach...loved what you wrote about your boy...how well you know him and how much you love him. The pictures are AMAZING!!!!!! Seriously loved this.
ReplyDelete