{more posts of that nature are sure to come, but this one's more about, well ... nature.}
I've been thinking for a while about what kind of food I'm feeding my family. Of course, I think about it all the time. What's for breakfast / lunch / dinner is never far from my daily thoughts. What I've only recently started to really give careful consideration to is where in the world our food comes from, what my food may have had for its own breakfast/lunch/dinner, and what really are those ingredients that I can't pronounce? I've always been careful to avoid excessive sodium, sugar and fats. Not to mention all the hidden ones. Over the years that I have been doing my own grocery shopping, I've become quite fond of a few "staples' that really shouldn't be coming home from the grocery store. No, my granola bars don't have chocolate chips and marshmallows in them but maybe I need to take a closer look at all the other stuff they cram into that 35 gram package of "goodness". My desire to make changes comes in part from what I'm learning from my work as an Independent Consultant with Epicure Selections. I'm learning recipes, tips and tricks for healthy eating that I had never considered before.
Last week I came across a documentary on Global called the 100 Mile Challenge. This link (if it works - I had some trouble with it) takes you to the Food TV synopsis of the show, but it's airing now locally (sensing a theme?). I love that the town they focus on is so very close to home, so it really has practical implications as I consider eating more wholly and locally. I also recognized one of the ladies on the challenge from meeting her two days before in our church nursery! Small little world, indeed. Catch the next episode tonight at 10:00.
I asked my friend Kristin, who lives in Saudi Arabia, where the produce in her grocery store comes from. Most comes from New Zealand. Sure, that's fair enough. Not too many apple orchards in KSA. Then I thought to look at where our family's favourite apples come from ... New Zealand! As delicious as they are, something just doesn't seem right here.
The day after watching the documentary, I discovered that my friend Holly (of fussy baby fame) had started a new blog about the food changes their family is making. I now eagerly await each new post on her new blog, Eating On Purpose. Her latest post talks about this local market. I've been there a few times and think I'll be going back more frequently for things like beef, chicken and deli meat. One of her posts mentions the phrase, "eat food. not too much. mostly plants." (m. pollan). I'd heard that before and intend to have a custom wall decoration made with that phrase and displayed above my kitchen cupboards. Just waiting for an invite (ahem, K.B.E.)!
Then I hear that my sister is raising rabbits! They hope to start eating them for dinner in a few months. It may sound strange to us city-folk, but after just a bit of reading ... it's not sounding so crazy. (Read at your own bunny-luvin' risk. Thanks for the link, Holly.)
While I would like to say that our family will be making rapid, drastic changes to what we eat and where it comes from, I know that won't be happening. Holly says in her first blog entry that she gave this new lifestyle many months of getting used to before sharing about the experience. I/we have a long way to go, but I do know that we're at the start of something that will be good for our everyday well being. And I hope our boys will carry it on as they grow and make their own food choices. Max has already had some fun with this interactive site about eating locally.
I've lived in this town (again - after 7 years away) for 3 years now and have yet to venture to our local Farmer's Market. I got close enough one week to figure out where to park, but was late for my hair appointment so I couldn't stop for a look-see. I'm determined to go see what's there before the season ends. I know that these great folks will be there again on August 21st. Maybe I'll get there!
And I must include a picture! Here's the first sprout from (one quarter of) a rhubarb root that I inherited. I was surprised to see how quickly and robustly it poked through the dirt (Moo Poo, to be precise). This was taken in early June. Thanks to my Dad for dividing the root and getting this one into its happy little home.

After two months of growth, the container was nearly hidden by all the leaves. I haven't taken an updated photo, but last week I harvested a handful of the earliest stalks and made the best ever rhubarb-apple crisp. And served it for dinner, I'll have you know!
Did your other half tell you that he used to eat rabbit meat? I found that raising rabbits is the most economical way to raise meat. Cheap to feed, grow fast, reproduce fast. Also high protein and lean. Minimal work. We used to have the mommy and daddy rabbits as pets, so they were the only ones with names. You have to have very sturdy pens - dogs and raccoons love rabbit too.
ReplyDeleteSorry to all of you who just see cute bunnies. Remember, little chicks are cute too.
So how about building a rabbit hutch beside that playhouse?
definitely good thoughts/challenge. i certainly have an interest in it, but the part that gets me is the cost. buying everything local is pricey, unfortunately. but where we can, we buy local.
ReplyDeleteabout that invite...count on mid-late september, once the back-to-school madness has settled a bit :)
I LOVE rabbits too much to eat them (especially ones that have played in my yard) but I'm with you with the other stuff. I just get overwhelmed sometimes with the all the things I supposed to be working on! Look forward to hearing how it goes for you and maybe you'll inspire me to do more.
ReplyDeleteOh dear. Just clicked on your "just a bit of reading" and read a few sentences and am now sick to my stomach. Think I'll be starting with local fruits and veggies!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I've heard that before, and I have been thinking about the possibility for ourselves. Not sure what the neighbour kids would say! I like the idea of only naming the buck and doe. (See, I even know they're called that!)
ReplyDeleteI know, the cost can seem daunting. But my friend says eating local isn't as much more expensive as she thought it would be as she's not buying all the extra junky stuff. This is why I'm taking it bit by bit as our lifestyle allows. And it sounded funny to hear you talk about "back to school"! Looking forward to your party.
ReplyDeleteI edited it to add: "Read at your own bunny-luvin' risk!".
ReplyDeleteYou are just so tender hearted, Niki. But when I think about the long term health and wellness of my cute little kids, the fate of the rabbits doesn't seem so tragic.
ReplyDeleteHey, is that the pot your Grandpa's plant used to be in?
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I'm glad we're on this journey together...
Lots of our produce in KSA comes from Egypt too.
ReplyDeleteI do think the whole movement towards knowing more about where our food is coming from and how it is being treated is an interesting one, I wonder what things will look like in another 5-10 years???
great thoughts rach, if you need/want any fresh beets i may have planted a few too many this year!
ReplyDeleteBeet greens, yummy for borscht or any soup for that matter. You can freeze them for later. Wish I was there to get some, Corinna.
ReplyDeleteYou're hilarious. Nice work on the local eating. We try, as well, but I'm a sucker for an avocado... or a pineapple. It's about baby steps, right??
ReplyDeleteI can't wait until next year when I can get my garden rolling again.
yes it is! I gave up on the plant and am so glad I did. :)
ReplyDeletesure Cor, remember that chocolate cake I made with beets?!
ReplyDeleteSince you are on the topic, take a look at this: http://www.dump.com/?x=0&y=0&s=food
ReplyDeleteare you referring to my link for KSA?
ReplyDeleteNot specifically. Just look at what people around the world eat.
ReplyDeleteah, I see it now. the fist time I clicked it just took me to the dump site, not that specific post. You showed me that in July. Very interesting!
ReplyDeleteNice post. I try to eat local as much as possible. Neufelds on King carries a lot of 'local' things as in withing the 100 mile area....I shop there alot. I also get my garden box each week from the abundant life family farm....are you doing that? My uncle sell natural pork if you eat pork. He's local and also at the farmers market and some at neufelds.
ReplyDeleteYes, I've admired your yummy looking local meals from your blog for a while now. :) I haven't done the garden box, but may consider it. (Abundant Acre)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rachel! This is something I've also been slowly working at, and it's nice to get some inspiration from you and Holly (both of you are further along on this journey than I am, for sure!).
ReplyDeletebut, I told Paul not to buy any more granola bars.
ReplyDeleteI'm really not that far at all. Still in the musing stage.
ReplyDeletethe garden box is nice, however I do the smaller one and often you get like one little squash or this last time I got 2 potatoes. So it's pretty random and I find that you might not get enough of one thing to actually make a meal with it. But it sure tastes amazing!
ReplyDelete