October 14. It's just not our day. Remember what happened on this day in 2009? The day after that event in 2009 was Max's Kindergarten field trip to The Apple Barn. Now in 2010, the day after October 14th was another class field trip to the Apple Barn (Marty's turn this time). We were preparing an early dinner as I was on my way out shortly to do an Epicure party in Chilliwack. I had made plans to meet up with two different customers on my way out to the party, so I had to leave about 15 minutes earlier than when I normally leave. At 5:15, 30 min. before I had to leave, we heard a thud and big cries from Jaxon. He had just walked out of the kitchen and around the corner toward the play room. He was wearing Holey Soles type shoes, and must have slipped or tripped. Add to that, since he had a piece of cheese in each hand and didn't have the life experience to know that he could go ahead and squish the cheese to protect his noggin ... he fell head first into the corner and top edge of this ...
Paul and I both heard the thud (whack? smack?) and then the wailing. He got to Jax first and immediately saw the tell-tale crimson droplets that told us it wasn't just a bonk on the head. Paul grabbed him, a wet cloth, and rounded up the older boys from outside. I grabbed all the phone numbers I needed to make arrangements for someone else to do my Tasting Party, and to re-schedule with the two customers I had planned to meet up with for some deliveries and exchanges. Paul whisked us all off to the ER and I carried Jax in. The major bleeding had stopped by then. We got through the paperwork, assessment, more paperwork and triage fairly quickly and while in the waiting room I finished all my phone calls. My friend Leanne agreed to go out to do the party for me, after she stopped by my house to pick up everything I had already prepared. Then we were called in to see the nurse and eventually doctor. My first question was "Who is the doctor on call?" Thankfully it wasn't the doctor who I feel was responsible for the nasty scar Max still has on his hand, one year after having his cast removed. Jax and I had all kinds of good fun exploring our little area of the ER. They put us in the cast room. That seems to be where they always put us with our little boys when they need their heads stitched up!
Max @ 18 months after standing on a chair and tipping it backward and his head meeting the corner edge of two walls.
Marty @ 3 years, 1 day. He was running from the grass into the garden and fell on the wood frame of the raised garden bed.
So, back to Jaxon.
He kept busy exploring our little area and not really very bothered by the gaping wound on his head. (I edited these pics because it was pretty icky. Head wounds bleed a lot, and he wasn't keen to let me clean it up.) He tolerated the topical freezing well and then it was time to get down to business. Note: In this family, it is the Mother who accompanies the child for the duration of their hospital visit. The Father is a SUPERSTAR in handling countless situations that we find ourselves in. He is strong, stable and reliable in any emergency. He gets the patient to the hospital in a safe and timely manner. Once the situation is under control and the immediate crisis has passed, he's not so stable. And by "not so stable" I mean, He Just Might Pass Out. So that leaves me to be Chief Hand Holder, "Shush"er, Hair Stroker, and Picture Taker. On the way back home, when I reported about the breadth and depth of the wound, and that the Dr. showed me J's *healthy, intact* skull, Paul nearly drove off the road and Max said "My legs felt funny when you said that, Mom.".
Max takes the prize (??) for the best post-op portrait, kudos to Marty for living the longest before necessitating stitches, and Jax leaves the others in his dust for earning the most stitches (he got 3, the other boys only got 2 for theirs). Max was the first to a broken bone, and also first to a second broken bone.
So here's our little Goomba back at home, feeling good with a big shiny bandaid ... and two fresh pieces of cheese.





Boys!
ReplyDeleteWhat a little cutie, the pic of you and him together is so cute, I love the face he is making.
yowch!
ReplyDeleteOh my! I remember when Max got his stitches.
ReplyDeletePoor Jax. I will be telling my Mom to bypass this post. She would instantly pass out upon seeing the corner in which his head hit. I am glad he is feeling ok.
ashley, that's just going to make her want to read it even more!
ReplyDeleteI laughed out loud at the "made my legs feel funny" comment... like father, like son...!!! I also love the final pic with Jax and his replacement cheese. Adorable.
ReplyDeleteI totally love you. This post had me laughing out loud. I love it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad! That you love me, and that it made you laugh.
ReplyDeleteI love your story and photo-journalism! Terrific! Tell Max, when I hear (even now) about my children getting hurt (remember, they are 14 - 32!) I get a funny little pain in my heart. It really does hurt. I guess Max will be tough in almost every situation, just like his dad. You have a fabulous family!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness - I can't believe you have matching pictures of all 3 boys with head injuries.
ReplyDeleteClassic.
Jamie, I remembered your advice about taking the bloody cloth with me to the hospital. I don't know if it helped fast-track us or not, but a few people seemed impressed!
ReplyDeleteI love that "not so stable" - that's definitely me! Russell has to handle that kind of stuff around here; I felt weird even just reading your post! :) Glad your little guy is OK!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Love you all!
ReplyDeletePoor Jaxon. And poor you. I'm so not good with stitches and all that hospital stuff. Was so grateful Andy was there when we had our only trip so far to the ER with Jorja this past spring.
ReplyDeleteHope he is healing well. :) Good thing is that boys seem to like scars and "war wounds".