Friday, February 17, 2012

secret ingredient revealed!

I've been making my boys green smoothies for quite a while now, and 2 out of my 3 really enjoy them. Max just barely tolerates them, but will usually comply, when given the option of drinking the smoothie or eating a handful of plain, raw spinach.

My standard recipe is a few handfuls of spinach, that loosely fill my blender jar at least 2/3 of the way. Then I add about a cup of water or other natural fruit juices, like from a can of pineapples or peaches. I add a banana and several spears or chunks of fresh or frozen (not from a can! yuck!) pineapple. Sometimes I add some peaches if I have a few slices on hand. I also sometimes add vanilla yogurt if I'm feeling generous. I zhuzh it all up in the blender and each boy get close to a 1 cup serving.

A few weeks (months?) ago at Waffle Wednesday, Sharon served some green smoothies on the side for the kids. Max was looking for a way to get out of the offer until she told him she had put a "secret ingredient" in it and he better give it a try. He did, and was very impressed. He said it was SO much better than mine, and asked me to use the same "secret ingredient" every time. Now when I make a batch at home, he watches carefully to see the "secret ingredient". A few times, he's thought he caught me. (I learned my lesson that no matter how long I blend the smoothie, cottage cheese cannot be disguised!) Each time he's thought he figured it out, I had to tell him he still hadn't guessed it. However, today I must have let my guard down and he watched me from afar. He finally concluded that the "secret ingredient" is WATER! Sure Max, let's just say that's the secret ingredient. Whatever it takes!

Glug, glug.

6 comments:

  1. So....let me guess. Sharon's smoothie has always been the same as your smoothie, but it tasted better at her house. Or, does she in fact, have a secret ingredient that you want us to figure out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hers were a bit lighter in colour, but same basic ingredients. No secret ingredient. He thinks it's water so I'm going to let him go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still cannot drink green smoothies . . . but I do love to make them with berries--and they're pretty healthy, too, right? :) I guess my kids have it pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...spinach, eh? Haven't done that ingredient yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing good came from my attempt to offer a green smoothie the other day. The little boys liked it and that was it. Aiden is still traumatized (or so he tells me).

    ReplyDelete