Last night was very special for both Max and Marty. For Max, it was the night he FINALLY got to watch The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie. He was introduced to Narnia in the summer by friends, and then learned more about it during our one week visit to Imadene in August. It was enough to spark a genuine interest, so Paul began reading the books to him. He has always known there are movies to be seen, but we have maintained that he needed to hear the stories first before watching the movie. They have just started reading Book 7, The Last Battle. He discovered that one of the students at camp has the movies. Well it didn't take long for the boy to make the connection, and then the request. So the plan was for Paul to bring the movie home last night.
Well then, what to do with Marty? He hasn't been sitting through the reading of the books and we didn't want to let him watch it at the same time as Max - who has waited FOR SO LONG! Sharon stopped by for an afterschool visit with her boys, and invited Marty over to their house for a play, supper and a movie with Elliot. Perfect suggestion! Paul and Max got started on the movie right away while I tried to keep Jax busy in the kitchen, out of the sight line from the movie. He tried to sneak peeks a few times, but then slammed his hands over his eyes every time. Since we knew the story and had seen the movie, we were able to make sure he wasn't watching when something scary was about to happen. Dinner was served on the couch (and it was yummy! Chili and rice.) and then Jax and I got busy making cookies. They turned out nicely, despite putting in and extra half cup of flour. Oops. When I realized my error, I added a bit of oil to moisten the dough enough to actually shape the cookies without having them crumble all to pieces. They turned out well and fit just perfectly into the cookie box I was so happy to inherit from my Grandma. It really looks best when filled with Ginger Snaps, so I think those will be next.
Chris brought Marty home just as the movie was ending and they were all soon off to bed. Thanks for having Marty over, Burdges! The evening was pleasant and Jaxon was able to give his screamer a rest without his instigator around for a few hours. :)

Miss Brenda's Good Cookies
These should be called Bad Cookies, because they are more bad than good. So bad, so good! I have adapted her original recipe, making them even less healthy. She has recently tried adapting the recipe to make them more healthy.
Next time I'll reduce each of the sugars. It's a start, right?
Set your oven to 350* and choose your strongest kitchen mixer.
No piddly hand mixer will do for this recipe.
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups flour (not 2, nope. not 2)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups rolled oats (we use half large flake, and half quick)
1.5 cups rice krispies
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup skor bits
In a separate bowl, mix first 4 dry ingredients well,
then add as many or all of the "extras" as you please.
Set aside.
In mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and blend well.
Scoop, drop or spoon onto cookie sheet. We use the Medium Pampered Chef cookie scoop and they are the perfect size.
Bake for about 12 minutes, to your desired level of done-ness.
Enjoy, and please don't hate me for giving you this recipe.
One of my favorite childhood memories was my Dad reading The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe and letting us sample turkish delight!
ReplyDeleteI will definitely try out the cookie recipe.
I just polished off a batch of those cookies!! Okay, not by myself...but almost ;)
ReplyDeleteI must have been tweaking them too much lately, because I've had some funky batches. Do you use room temp butter or still cold? I might also switch back to parchment paper instead of silicone baking mats. They don't seem to be melting and spreading enough.
Deletei use room temp margarine or butter. I tried silicone baking mats...not a fan. Just put them on baking sheets and they seem to be good.
DeleteMy pans are losing their non-stick coating so I like to have them covered with something. Will have to try the parchment.
DeleteMy kids have really enjoyed the Narnia books, too, although they were pretty disappointed when they finally tried Turkish Delight :)
ReplyDeleteYour cookie recipe sounds so good . . . I can't wait to make a batch myself!