I haven't mentioned much here about the daily happenings of our homeschool adventure, but we're enjoying it very much, and are excited for the benefits we will reap by making this choice for our family. There are two other families here at camp with kids around the same age as ours. We are all of differing opinions, convictions and priorities when it comes to educating our kids, but one thing is for sure ... we're here for each other.
Jennie-Lynne volunteered to teach my boys a unit of Science, harkening back to her career as a teacher. She spends about an hour with them once a week while I entertain or just oversee and supervise her kids and Jaxon upstairs. This last week was by far the boys favourite lesson, as they tested out various paper helicopters. The rule in this house is "nothing gets tossed over the railing", so an exception to the rule is a really big deal!


You read in my last post about Sharon's most recent contribution to our home-learning - MOUNTAINEERING! That was an adventure we won't soon forget, and I love that there will be many more like it.
On Wednesdays, the school we are enrolled with offers a Resource Centre Class. It's a chance for the students to take part in larger group activities, and gives parents 3 hours in the afternoon to do other things. This semester they have been preparing for a drama play, One Small Acorn. Max chose to be a Crow and Marty was assigned the role of an Elm tree. I knew they were both part of a small group of characters sharing the same lines. It wasn't until after the dress rehearsal this afternoon that I learned exactly how many lines they both had. Oops! Rookie mistake? I'll play that card. It all worked out in the end.
Here they are all suited up!


Aside from performance day meaning we can take a (long) break from listening to the practice CD, and aside from my boys enthusiasm to finally be performing the show, my favourite part of the evening was that the two other camp families came out to watch and support us. This a busy week for everyone at camp and the day was packed with lots of activity and driving, but they still came! My boys were thrilled to have their friends see them do their thing. (Key word being SEE, since we really couldn't hear anything the kids were saying. They sure looked cute and the songs were entertaining!)
I chose this picture because I love the mesmerized look on Little Miss L's face.


I loved having MY friends there, because it clearly showed their love and support for us, and it was one more example of the sense of community we feel with one another. And who, other than a dear friend, would share the news that DQ was having a sale on Blizzards?! After all, this was a celebration, right?

~ The Princess and the Punks ~

Awesome, Rachel. I love that you are really embracing this home schooling journey and just loving how this community of yours is solidifying :)
ReplyDeletecute boys :)
What a fantastic experience! The boys look absolutely adorable.
ReplyDeleteYour friends sound incredible.........especially since they adore ice cream! :)
Those costume pictures are keepers for sure.
ReplyDeleteAdults at one table, kids at another - good idea!
Princess and the Punks - good description. Miss Princess looks like she is enjoying spending time with those punks - hopefully her parents approve!
Like, like, like! I loved coming out and watching the boys! It was a great night!
ReplyDeleteSO great!
ReplyDelete