Thursday, May 17, 2012

mighty neighbourly, mighty neighbourly

This post brought to you, once again, by a heart of thanks for this little community we are settling into. We've moved in to our half of the Dulex (formerly known as "The Dup" - stay tuned for the re-naming!) on camp property. Chris & Sharon and their boys are on the other side and we're all figuring out the perks and challenges of sharing space. So far we've had far more perks than challenges.  Last week when the Burdges were away for a few days, I schlepped a total of 3 dishwasher loads over there and back to our place. Our kitchen has lots of space but none of it is efficiently laid out. We have no dishwasher and a single, shallow sink with no plug. Counter space is next to nil. We're doing what we can to make the space more useable with shelves and hooks and such, and are already thinking through how we could totally re-design it.  That will come, in time. For now I'm doing my best to keep up with the dishes and Sharon has kindly offered for me to use her dishwasher when she's not. I've got another load ready to go over, and have unpacked my dishwasher detergent tabs.

I asked God for an every day friend ... I like the way he answered.



Andy and Jennie-Lynne have also been away this past week, and they asked if Paul or I would go over to their house to give some TLC to their cat, though the motive was more to prevent her from pooping in unauthorized places than from feeling sorry for her, at home all by her lonesome. Paul was happy to step in and had a few nice little visits with Lily.


JL - I'm so happy for that you got away for some R&R with your boys and some pampering for yourself. You are a beautiful soul and I can't wait to spend the summer with you at camp. Thinking of you as you tend to your little patient, that you'll all be back to routine soon. 


Our van has been on the fritz for the past few months so we've been babying it and not asking too much of it to keep it going until we could find a trustworthy mechanic. I've sung praises of our mechanic in Abbotsford, but when factoring in a $200 round trip ferry ride, it's not worthwhile to go see him now and then like we used to. On Tuesday night Paul dropped our van off at the home of a gentleman from church who has a mechanic shop. We're waiting to hear his verdict. Paul has an idea of what the problem is but doesn't have the time, tools or know-how to get to the bottom of it. We're hoping our friend can solve it, otherwise we'll have to wait a little longer to take it to our beloved Ernie when I go to Abbotsford in July.  

With the van unavailable to me yesterday, I figured the boys would just have to miss their weekly community class with our home school.  Sharon had also invited us to watch her boys' school performance of Annie in the morning. Of course I wanted to take my boys but didn't know how it would be feasible. That's when our camp family stepped in! Sharon offered for me to use her car FOR THE WHOLE DAY, and she borrowed Jinny's car. Jinny loves everyone and is loved by everyone and works in the camp office. I've seen her scale 200 ft. rock faces and I've seen her at the gun club. 

Stay on her good side.




6 comments:

  1. So thankful for how God is answering your prayers....my heart is joyful for you and your newfound friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear that you are settling into your new place and working out some of the challenges--although I can't help but feel a LITTLE guilty about all the counter space WE now have, thanks to you ;). You seem to have an amazing group of people around you--I hope you really enjoy your first spring/summer at the camp!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really miss that kitchen! I'll try to post pics of what we have now. We're having to get very creative. :)

      Delete
  3. i love glimpses into your life rachel! what a beautiful picture of God's family. hoping to still see you in july- i believe hotel guynup is still available if you need it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure will see you then! I just checked FB today to make sure I confirmed that with you, and I guess I did. Please accept this as my official reservation! :)

      Delete
  4. yay-it's on the calendar!
    looks like we won't be able to head your way this summer---the kids and i are going to be sask bound instead---glad to see you out here though!

    ReplyDelete