With Jaxon's birthday being on the day that it is ... it can be tricky to figure out what to do for a party to celebrate the dear boy. For birthdays 1, 2 and 3, we had a little family celebration with just us, or whichever {whomever?} relatives happened to be nearby on that very special day.
This year, however, he has been very aware of all the birthday celebrations he's been a part of, and has said a few times that he wanted a big party with friends. How could we not oblige? We invited the usual crew we share life with - Isaac & Elliot (Marty was talking to someone about Elliot today and referred to him as his cousin!) and Leilani, the princess among all the pumpkins here at camp. Poor Leilani has a cold and couldn't come today. We were happy to have Isaac & Elliot's cousins join us, as they had come out to the lake for a visit. It was lovely to have them here with their boy - just a month younger than Jaxon and their sweet, polite, calm and quiet older girls! There was also one little boy and his mom who we know from church. I think he was a bit overwhelmed by all these kids who were so comfortable with each other, but he seemed to have a great time. We were honoured to have Geoff & Joanne here as well, for taco salad lunch and then the party. Jo went to school with my aunts and they have taken us under their wing here as we see them often at church as well as at camp. Lovely folks, who are fast becoming dear friends. They know how to celebrate - the first to arrive and the last to leave!
The first thing on the agenda was a trip to the big blue dry shed to play on the plasma cars. I don't have any photos of that as I stayed home to prep the rest of the activities, but Paul has at least one fantastic video of the goings-on, and I hope he got some pictures too. They had a great time, no concussions!
Then everyone trickled back to the house to get to the business of decorating gingerbread men! Even with just a few basic trimmings, the kids managed to load up those cookies in no time. And once one parent said "yes" to decorating and devouring a second cookie - everyone did another!
| Peppermint Punch! That's what you see in that jug there. I do believe this will have to become a yearly tradition! Haven't had it in many, many years ... and it tastes as good as I remembered! |
![]() |
I set up a few craft activities in the toy room.
Here, Marty is showing Elliot how to cut out a gingerbread man chain.
I thought mine turned out pretty cute.
Most of the kids were more interested in the edible variety.
Speaking of eating ... there was more to be consumed!
The Happy Birthday song and a cute cake presented to the boy.
I'm quite proud of this inspiration!
It's a gingerbread cake topped with a real, giant g.b. boy! I cut out some holes for the candles before baking it, but still had to trim the candles down a bit to make it all work. Some kids declined a piece of cake, and most of the adults had a wee smidgen with whipped cream. If the boys ask to share this giant cookie for breakfast tomorrow, I will say yes.
He got his big present on his actual birthday, but I wanted him to have something to open from us today, so out came the newest addition to our Im@dene apparel collection! Jax opened his first, then the other boys pulled theirs out of the bag as well.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAXON! Such a special boy you are!
We love you so much!






great-looking party! looks like everyone loved it, especially the special 4-year-old! :) Very cute :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Jax!! What a fun day you had.
ReplyDeleteI love the cake and think it is utterly adorable. Great ideas!!
Oh, and I would love to hear about peppermint punch? Would you be willing to share the recipe?
ReplyDelete4 cups softened neapolitan ice cream
Delete4 cups cold milk
peppermint extract, to taste. (I did a few cap fulls.)
(I could only get a big 4L tub of ice cream, you might be able to get a smaller size so as not to waste the rest. I put the rest in the freezer but not sure if it will be okay for another batch.)
It worked really well to use a jug with plunger to mix it up and make it frothy. One recipe easily fits in a 2L jug, and I think a double would as well. I can't remember how much I made, single or double!
don't microwave the ice cream, just let it sit on the counter, at least an hour.
DeleteHappy Happy Birthday, Jax!! Looks like you had a great party for your special day.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Jaxon! Looks like a fun party!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way to celebrate a December birthday--the cake looked amazing!
ReplyDeleteThat cake is really cute! And so are those boys :)
ReplyDelete