Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Aw, nuts!


Here's my poor little boy, recovering from his very first allergic reaction. I introduced peanut butter about 2 months ago and saw no signs of a reaction. The day we brought Marty home from the hospital we noticed a funny rash on Max's knees and elbows. Paul took him to the doc just to be sure it wasn't something contagious. He said not to worry and sent them home. A week later the rash still hadn't cleared so I asked the doc @ church if it could be nut related. He didn't think so but suggested we leave nuts for 2 weeks. 10 days later I was eating trail mix and he stole some of my cashews. He LOVED them, but within a few hours had broken out in hives and had a little coughing fit. I didn't clue in to what the cause might be until we were on our way to the ER. One look at him and the doc asked for a dose of Benadryl. Within 30 min, Max was looking much better.

Now what?!

Our Dr. says the only way to know for sure what his specific allergy could be (if any) is to do a blood test. Would any of you want to do a blood test on a 2 year-old?! No thanks. So for now we're just keeping him away from all nuts and carry Benadryl and EpiPen with us everywhere. In a few weeks we can try a skin test to see if he reacts again.

1 comment:

  1. My little guy was a year old when I found out he was allergic to peanuts. He carries his own epi pen now (he is 5), we are always so careful about things. It isn't easy having a child with such an allergy. It is very scarry sending them to school.
    I pray that you find out what nuts do bother your little one. Taylor's first allergy test was at a year old, then again when he was 3, and 5.
    My thoughts are with you.
    (btw, I am Robyn, I can be found on David and Susan's blog, or Janie and Dave's blog. I like to check out everyone's blogs, and found yours.)

    ReplyDelete