Friday, November 2, 2007

The HOJ

I've gone back to work. Just a little bit. I've rejoined the staff at The House of James, a Christian bookstore here in Abbotsford. I worked there for about 5 months just before we got married and left a few months after we got married. I was so excited to work there, and was entrusted as the Music Department Manager. It was a big job but I was enjoying it. In January of that year (2002) our church (SouthRidge Fellowship) posted an opening for the position of Administrative Assistant. This was truly my dream job, and I jumped at the opportunity. I was thrilled to get the job, and had to say goodbye to the good folks at House of James. Lando (the owner) was disappointed, but understanding of my decision. I worked at SouthRidge for 2 and a half years, until Max was born.

So how did I end up back at The HOJ ("Hodge")? My Grandpa used to call it "James House". He'd go in there to buy records. Lando remembers my Grandpa as a customer over many, many years.

I had talked to Lando about something else this summer, can't remember what. He mentioned that if I was ever interested in part time work, to let him know. At the time, we weren't ready to pursue it. After sorting ourselves out and making some decisions on other things, we decided to give it a try. I've committed to work 3 evenings a week, usually about 4 hours each. I'm not on the official schedule and am considered "casual". I go in when they have a gap in the schedule. For the first two shifts I was labeling new product and pricing music for the big sale this weekend. Tonight I got thrown right into the action at the front desk. Much of what I learned 6 years ago is slowly coming back, but it's still a bit of a blur. It sure is a great way to learn all the ins and outs of the place. I really like being there again. Staff that are still there from my first time working welcomed me back warmly, and many of the new staff have heard about me. Good things, too! I'm encouraged, and thankful for a good place to work to earn a little extra for our family. The agreement is for me to work until Christmas and then evaluate how it's working out for Paul at home with the boys, and what the HOJ staffing needs are.

So, that's part of why you haven't heard much from me this week. Also, there hasn't been much blogworthy news. I did carve a pumpkin, which I'm actually quite pleased with. We didn't do anything special for Halloween, but did have some special visitors - the Werdals. That was a nice surprise to have them come over. Tomorrow, after my HAIRCUT!!! ... I"m so excited ... we're going out to Hope (1 hour east) to look at a truck that Paul is considering buying. While we're out there we might do some touristy things too.

7 comments:

  1. glad it's working out so far. i had thought about working there very part time after my mat leave ended, but i wanted to explore other options before giving up my very SHORT evenings with alf.
    glad you're enjoying it though!
    can't WAIT to see your haircut!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you get a good discount

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope work is going well! By the way, you're totally right...Kai does look like Jayden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i will come visit you at HOJ soon because my boy Smitty has a new Christmas album that i must own...do you know what nights you're working this week and next week??

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you!! I hope that your family does well with whatever you decide....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alvin & Denise EnglerNovember 7, 2007 at 4:15 PM

    back at the hoj eh? hmmm... i like the hoj. you're in there just in time for the christmas rush!
    -de

    ReplyDelete