... and I'm already thinking about dinner! My, my.
I'm feeling organized, and I really have to be today, as it's the first of 12 evenings over the next 4 weeks that I'll be out from 6-7pm. Friends, I'm going to Boot Camp! A fitness boot camp, that is. You know, the kind where they, um, make you exercise, for more than 2 minutes. My friend invited me to join her three other friends for this short session. Because it's a community program, it's much cheaper than the mainstream "Boot Camp" organizations. I've always wanted to try such a thing but could never justify the time and financial commitment. This, I think, will be doable. The time and money at least, not sure about the whole exercising bit.
I've bought my runners and spent some time in the "Active Wear" section at a few stores. I haven't spent much time there before. I have the weights (thanks Jen!), the stability ball (thanks Frieda!), and a big ol' water bottle. (A chuggable one, to be precise.) I even bought a fun little hat to keep most of the rain off my little red head. We're told to expect to be outdoors, more than indoors, as much as possible. Oh goody.
In truth, I really am looking forward to this new endeavor, and am hoping for good results.
And so then, on with dinner! I emailed this recipe to my sister and mom today so I thought I'd share it with you all too.
We really like it over here. I got it from a friend who got it from a friend. I gave it a new name. Call it what you want.
Zesty Bird Bake
This is only zesty if you choose a zesty salsa. Mine is not zesty.
Have all your ingredients ready to go before starting.
Preheat oven to 375*.
Grease 9x13 glass baking dish.
You'll need one or two packages of tortillas, whatever colour, size and quantity you desire.
In sauce pan over medium heat, stir together:
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup flour
Slowly add:
2 cups milk
Stir until blended and thickened.
Stir in:
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese. (You'll need another 1/2 cup for on top.)
*Reserve 1 cup of this sauce for later.*
Add to the remaining sauce:
3 cups cooked & diced turkey or chicken
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dry)
Scoop (about 1/4 cup) in a line in middle of tortilla.
(Adjust this amount according to the size of the tortilla.)
Repeat for as many tortillas as you want to use.
Place seam side down in greased 9x13 pan.
Spoon reserved sauce over top of completed dish.
Top with 1/2 cup grated cheese.
Bake for about 25 minutes.
A few other details:
I used pre-cooked and diced frozen chicken (white/dark mix) from a local poultry farm. I wasn't sure how it would turn out with the whole frozen bit, but it was great. This recipe made 7 Large Old El Paso tortillas, which filled my 9x13 pan perfectly. I had quite a bit of the filling left over so I could have done about 5 more in a smaller pan. If you try this recipe, you can play with the proportions to figure out what works best for your family. The leftover filling I have isn't quite enough for another whole recipe.
I can't wait to hear how bootcamp goes!!! I have been eyeing them now too for several years... this one I will try, so long as you think it's worth it, if they do another run at it! :)
ReplyDeleteThat recipe sounds de-lish! you're not planning to eat too much before you go are you??? I go to a class at 6:00pm on Mondays too, involving a ball and sometimes our tummy on the ball - the Instructor always says something like "now if you've eaten supper before you came, I'm sorry"... you might like to eat closer to 4:00 and then eat this when you get back while feeding the rest of the crew at 5:00.
anyway - you have it all under control!! have fun!
Way to go Rachel!! Boot camp sounds like fun! I don't seem to have motivation to do anything these days. I'm hoping the nicer weather will get me going. I can't wait to hear how it goes!!
ReplyDeleteI'm very impressed! Hope it is fun!
ReplyDeleteWe don't have Boot Camp here. I am so thankful.
ReplyDelete