Wednesday, April 13, 2011

i know it's not true ...


... it's totally not true in my experience as a blog reader.


I read a lot of blogs writers who have a lot to say that is worth saying.


And worth reading.


But it kind of speaks to how I feel about this here space of mine.


I do have things to say, stories to tell, questions to ask.


Just not sure what that looks like for me.


For now.


For many years Paul and I have talked about keeping life simple, as best as we can.  With each added child or move or business venture or stage of life, busy-ness and STUFF gets in the way. Actual physical stuff in our home for us to clean up / sort through / pick up / sell / throw away /  give away / put away / save for a rainy day (of which there are many) ... as well as the mental / emotional / non-tangible "stuff" that crowds our thoughts and blurs our focus.


My life with this man and our little men is never boring.  Nope, never.



{Home from Max's first ROCK CONCERT! Come again, TobyMac - I want to go with him next time!)


We feel like we're just now coming out of "the fog" as our 10-year anniversary approaches.  How did we get here so fast, and when did we become the grown-ups? (An inevitable but not always easy lesson to learn for two "last borns" like ourselves.) Our littlest is in a big boy bed and this could even be the year we become a diaper-free home.  Bring it!  And yes, he's the littlest. The last.  We're making darn sure of that. (*ahem*)  This year will see two of my three off at school for much of their day.  (I'm not as afraid of homeschooling as I used to be. More of those thoughts to be shared ... sometime.) Currently our days at home together are all kinds of fantastic. Individuality, creativity, and personality abounds. Many times I need to take a breath and enjoy the moment. Many times I need to remind them how important it is to love and care for each other.  When people ask me if Jaxon has a little bit of both his brothers' personalities tied in to his, I say 'no'. The boy has A LOT of BOTH his brothers' strengths and ... what do they call it these days? ... areas for improvement.  If only they would just act their age.



{Hide and Seek. It's easy for them since the flour cupboard is the favourite hiding spot for both of them.}


Although I so easily get distracted from a task I need to accomplish, although I often just don't know where to start to bring peace • order • beauty to our home, I've somehow managed to teach them that spinach in their smoothie is delicious AND gives them enormous muscles. And that God made each of us and loves us so much more that we could ever know. And that pussy willows are worth searching for.





And in my lackadaisical blogging habits of late (give or take a year), I missed telling you about the time we went on a TV show and won $1000!  How about I save that story for next time? Especially when I confess that this post has taken a few weeks to compose!

Next time ... the story of the playhouse.


PS: Why, oh why is the line spacing so hard to figure out in Wordpress? Any tips?

PPS: This post brought to you sooner rather than later with many thanks to the hasslin' of a few very special people in my life.

Yonita, Brenda, Corinna!

22 comments:

  1. i loved this post {and i am "borrowing" the blog picture at the top for my blog as its hilarious and sometimes very true even in my own little world!! But this was a great post rachel...keep em coming!!

    PS: what do you think of wordpress? i tried switching over once....once, and then went back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Good to read a little bit about your world over there. :)

    Max is looking so grown up! And I loved seeing the pussy willows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post!! I love reading about your family. Your blog is, after all, the reason why I blog! I had never heard of a blog until you shared your wealth of knowledge with me.
    I can't wait to hear about the playhouse. I still remember the day you were on TV. I was extremely excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you are one of the ones who has a lot to say that I feel is definitely worth saying! I don't know how you keep up with all your writing, but so glad that you do. Inspiring and challenging in many aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were blessed by my dried up twigs, Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sharon. I'm so glad you're keeping up with your blog, and for the open comments too. :) Borrow away! I was going to link to the website but there's some not so family friendly stuff on it so I just left it.
    I'm still undecided about Wordpress. I was on blogger for a while and grew disenchanted. I know wordpress can do a lot of cool fancy stuff, but I'm really not going to be getting into learning all that. Blogger was easier for sure. Maybe if I use this a little more frequently I'll figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Ash, if YOU can blog as regularly and thoroughly as you do, how can I not?! Thanks for your faithful support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. and you hassled me a bit too, via Paul! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and thanks for helping me process my thoughts on the whole blogging thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops...the anonymous commenter was me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!!! A new blog post. I have been faithfully waiting :) Very well said Rachel. As always, you have a great way with words. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering! Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmmm... so good to "hear" you.
    Sending you love and hugs.
    Love those boys of yours, loads. Love you especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for hearing me, I know you understand. (and the lovin' too, that's pretty fantastic!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this post rachel! getting a bit more of a glimpse of your life. i actually signed in to post on my blog yet felt unmotivated...i guess i'll get 'er done...i find the more i leave the more i wish i had said before or pictures i had posted, and then i end up just leaving it. i love hearing about your wonderful family and where your heart is rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks Teresa. Glad I could inspire you! It can be such a funny thing, this blogging stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for coming back to blog world...I like reading your blog cause then when we don't get to talk for forever and a day it still feels like I know a bit about the zalinko five. missing all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All things internet, amazingly, go on without us for extremely extended periods of time. I've been "out" of the blogging world for the better part of 2 yrs and I was a little surprised to see how much of frenzy I DID NOT miss. I got a whole lot more done when I didn't blog, I will tell you that!

    On the other hand, I do enjoy coming back and finding out how my friends are doing! So fun to catch up with you and see how big everyone's gotten - and yes, when DID we become adults?? =)

    Love to your precious family,

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping in, Katherine, and for the encouragement! Yours and Rachel Anne's were some of the first blogs I started reading. It really is remarkable how women from such different corners of the world can connect like this to share about their lives. Thanks for being one of those for me. :)

    ReplyDelete