It's a super rainy day. I'm at the house with a cup of tea and heated blanket. Jax is upstairs watching Bob the Builder. Max and Marty are at their first day at their new school. The morning was a bit hectic as I was so enjoying a snuggle with Max and didn't realize the time. Getting 5 kids and 3 adults out the door at the same time was a bit crazy. Tomorrow will be better.
On the way through the downpour from the van to the school, Max tripped and fell. Dirty hands and very muddy jeans knees. Big tears but he calmed quickly after I cleaned him up inside. We found his class first. He's in a 2/3 split. He had met one boy in his class while we were at camp for a week in August. He had come with his mom and little brother for a visit with Sharon so the boys watched the big BMX race together. On Saturday we discovered that the older of the two boys next door to our rental home is in Max's class as well! They had some fun riding bikes together that day so got a bit acquainted. When we met the teacher today, she told me that the boy in Gr. 3 had told her about Max. That was nice, to know that a few kids already had a connection and would be a familiar face for him.
Marty. Oh, my little Marty. I found out a few weeks ago that his Kindergarten teacher is a man. How strange! I didn't really know what to think about that. Since then I've heard from several people who know or were taught by a male K teacher. I snooped his name on FB and found his picture and may have found his wife and snooped through a few of her pictures. From what I could see, they looked like a solid family. That made me feel a bit better. Well, then. So I had an idea of what he looked like, and was told by the school secretary that he's a very tall red-head. Yesterday we went to a church in Duncan and guess who I saw sitting just a few rows from the front? Mr. Kindergarten Man! I was pretty sure it was him, so after church introduced myself. It was him indeed, and he agreed it would be a good idea for Marty to meet him there. Marty was quite shy and I think overwhelmed by being in a new place so wasn't feeling friendly. We stayed at church for a chili lunch (fundraiser for Teen Challenge), and I caught Marty sneaking peeks at his teacher and Mr. P was smiling and waving back to him. It was great to see him interacting with his own children, and it made me feel much better about taking Marty there today. He went into his class with no fears and joined the other kids on the carpet. I walked by the classroom a few times over the next half hour and he was right in there. I called at lunch to talk to Mr. P. He said Marty was well engaged with the other kids and toys and seemed to be doing just fine. I'll see how he feels at the end of the day today and perhaps do some half-days this week. This school has lunch from 11-12ish, and then an afternoon recess. I'll have to figure out what would be best if I don't send him for the whole day.
Overall, it feels really strange to be in a new school. It does seem louder and a bit more hectic than what we're used to at the Traditional School, so that was a bit of a shock to me! I'm eager to find out about how often I can volunteer in the class so I can get a better idea of how things work there.
No one cried until Jaxon and I got in the van and drove down the road. He started crying, so very sadly, saying "I want Marty! I want my Marty!". He was pretty sad for a bit while we were running a few errands in town. Later he cried again saying "Go get boys! Go get my Max and Marty!". So sad. I think he'll feel left out for the next while at drop-off time, but once we get settled into our own house and arrange some playdates and other activities, I think he'll be just fine. I'm very much looking forward to being reunited with my rain boots (how could I have left them at home??) and spending time walking around town for errands or exploring.
I have a very special story to tell about a little visitor I had in my
hahah...only as good as your last post!!!! Love it!! Glad you are enjoying my fav blanket on this rainy monday!! See you at dinner!
ReplyDeleteI"m glad i could harass you into a new post :) glad to read this all, especially the connections Max has there already.
ReplyDeletei would be VERY hesitant about a male K teacher for Taeya - i'm not sure she'd go for it. THankfully, i don't have to deal with that yet, but i'm glad Marty got a chance to meet him before hand :)
if you will include a picture of your latest visitor next time, i will have to skip reading that one... :(
yay! you're there! a first big step for sure...i thought of you guys off to your new school...a beginning of many new exciting things. some things will take more to settle into i'm sure. how neat for marty to meet his teacher at church...i'm sure they will have lots to share when you pick them up...and jax can get his brothers all to himself again:) thanks for including our girl in your special time the other night---she always talks fondly of 'the boys in the blue sweaters' :) now keep blogging! i look forward in joining you on your adventure from afar!
ReplyDeleteI know! I thought about Taeya right away when I heard about the teacher. I've never really heard of it before, and I suspect it's more of a small town thing. Maybe the pickins are slim for recruiting teachers? He seems to be really great with the kids.
ReplyDeleteand I'll give you fair warning about THAT story coming up.
Thanks, T! I loved having her around with us that night, and so glad y'all get to be neighbours. And I didn't know Carol & Ken are on that street too. What a treat! Funny you mention their hoodies - a teacher at school was oogling how cute they were together. Jax too, with his little backpack on.
ReplyDeleteHow could I NOT when *I* knew that *you* knew that I was home alone all day with only one child and no chores!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you have had a great first few days! I'm sure all the new things can be overwhelming. Although you have experience moving so I'm sure you have learned a few things along the way :) Hope the boys enjoyed their first day of school. And I agree with K, maybe post a little picture of your visitor ;)
ReplyDeleteI just saw your 'visitor' on facebook - yikes! I agree with Sharon - keep blogging. You are a great storyteller and have a wonderful way with words. Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend.
ReplyDeleteMamaZee
I am so glad that you hear that you have arrived and are getting settled with your new routines. It sounds like the boys first day went really well.
ReplyDeleteI am getting scared about your visitor. Please tell me it wasn't a spider. I wouldn't be able to handle that!!!
Yay for rest and tea. I hope that the rest of the days go wonderfully and I look forward to hearing more stories of your adventures. Sending you a big 'ole hug!
ReplyDeletei have sat under that very blanket myself...it is a good one, and a good house to be in as well. i kinda teared up about your stories of school, i am so glad that there are some boys for max and that marty is doing well. i can't wait to hear of all your adventures there...of all the rain and beautiful walks you will go on. i kinda miss you already.
ReplyDeletethat was corinna by the way!
ReplyDeleteThanks Cor! I know of a way that you won't miss us too much - come visit! Thanks for your encouragement about the boys school. I am actually feeling really unsettled and not at peace about them being in the local school in town. I'm going tomorrow to visit a Traditional School 20 min. away. I'm hopeful I will get a good understanding of how similar it is to our school in Abby, and then will have to make a very quick decision about switching them there. Like, in one day. Keep this in your prayers!
ReplyDelete