
As I have read many of my friends' posts about their kids' First Day of School, I have been reflective about how our school experience is going to look very different in just a few weeks. While we have been anticipating this move for Paul's new job, I have been mulling over a few ideas for this school year. Well, two ideas - homeschooling or public school. Since we didn't know where we would be living (in town or at camp), and since we weren't sure of the timeline for our arrival there, I had been preparing myself for the possibility that it might be best for me to homeschool the boys this year (grade 2 and K). And there were great gasps of "I could never do it!" from some friends and cheers of "You can do it!" from other friends and family. When we found a rental home in town (can't wait to give you a picture tour!) and discovered it to be just a few blocks from the local catchment school, my thinking shifted. While I would have been willing to homeschool my boys if I felt that would be best for our family, I would have done so. But then thinking of the opportunity for our family to get to know people in the community and for me to spend time getting to know my new friends and partners in ministry - the public school option gained in possibility. So the decision was made to enrol them in the community school. As I was researching online for any information about the principal of the school, I came across a paper he had written for his Master's Degree thesis - on the topic of homeschooling! Imagine that, hey? I can't find the link right now, and I certainly didn't read the whole thing, but I'm encouraged to know that he is mindful of why some parents choose to teach their kids at home. By no means is homeschooling "off the radar", but we feel that for now, this is the path to take.

Since the school we are leaving (waaaahhhh!) is a 'school of choice' and there is a waitlist for new students, I felt it would be best not to take up spots for just a few weeks when new students could start out their year. Our principal did say that our boys would be welcome to participate for the first few weeks, but I didn't think that would be a good idea. I wouldn't want to put them in now, only to have them get settled and re-acquainted and re-connected here only to pull them out and start all over again at the new school. So that means we've had an EXTRA LONG SUMMER BREAK, the children are squirrely, and I'm going a wee bit loopy. We went to our "old" school for an after-school visit last week, and then today I took one last turn as a noon-hour supervisor. The boys got to have lunch with their buddies while Jax and I toured our assigned classrooms. It was so neat to peek into the classes and see my big boys enjoying their visit, while gaining some closure to their experience at the school. Then it was off to the playground where there was much running and playing and chasing around for all three of my boys. Even Marty and Jaxon know some of the kids through Max being there and from our neighbourhood, so it was nice to see how they are loved and will be missed.

I have cried many tears on each of my recent visits there. I am thankful to have been part of such a special little community, and know that we are leaving before many memories could be made and shared. I pray that these two years with these kids and their families (4 years, counting Max's two years of preschool with many elementary school friends) will have made an impression and not fade from their memories too quickly.
One other thing I will really miss? Uniforms! I have a feeling my boys will be wearing a lot of navy blue at their new school as I wean myself off of the dress code we've had here.
So long, friends ... Thanks for the memories!

I can imagine that it would be hard to say goodbye. I still drive by my elementary school and feel sentimental. I am excited for the new friendships and memories that the boys will be gaining in their new school!!
ReplyDeletewowee - no doubt it'll be a missed community, but knowing your warm and approachable personality, you will have no problem creating a new community in your new school/neighborhood :)
ReplyDelete