Saturday, June 7, 2008

catching up

I'm shamefully behind in posting photos and stories of every day things around here. Not sure why. I'll see what I can do to catch you up on all the goings on. First, a few more pictures of my little broken boy.

This was the day after.

We found a good little perch for him to watch Daddy shoveling rocks.

Oma was a great companion. He told her he was glad she was there. :)

The sling didn't last very long at all. He preferred to support his cast with his other arm. Now it's no big deal at all, and he's begging to ride his bike again.
He's adjusted very well to his heavy load (which he says is now just a small load) and hardly seems to be bothered. Going to the bathroom is a bit of an ordeal (I was going to say 'production', which it usually is too) but other than that he's highly independent. We do have to remind him now and then to slow down, as he tends to bash his cast around a bit.

So the major trauma of it all has long since passed, and we're just biding our time until the cast comes off. I took him in after a few days because his hand was quite swollen around the thumb. Dr. M trimmed the cast a bit, which made a big difference. I had to take both boys to the hospital to get it done, so I was worried about how to juggle them both. We walked in to a waiting room full of (mostly old) people. They all admired the boys and Max was proud to tell his tale. (He tells people he fell off his MOTORbike. Not so. Just a regular bike. He says it's a motorbike because it goes so fast!) Dr. M came in to the room and asked all the other folks if he could see Max first. They all agreed, which was so nice. We were in and out in half an hour. We're going back again on Tuesday, perhaps for an x-ray, and to see about getting a fiberglass cast. Dr. M said it's not likely, as the plaster holds his arm so much more securely. If we keep the plaster cast on, it'll need a patch up already as it's pretty soft around his hand. We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. oh casts. summer is a horrible time to have one, but at least he's young and heals so fast he'll only have to wear it for half of summer? i can relate, i did it twice, 2 summers in a row, the year i graduated and the year after. anyhow, good thing it happened when he was young! hope everything is healing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's SOOOOOO cute. And so big, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little dude!!

    I am a slave to Google Reader, so I keep forgetting to check in on you.

    I hope the time passes quickly!!

    ReplyDelete