... it's pink-eye. (For Max.)
And a staph infection. (For Marty.)
Yesterday was set aside for remembering Paul's Grandpa, Frank Hiebert. He passed away on Monday morning. I didn't mention it as I didn't want it to get lost in all the broken arm hooplah. He was 91, and had not been well for many months. Frieda's sister had commented that it's amazing how Frieda always happens to be in town when a family emergency happens. She had pulled up in our driveway just as I was wondering who could watch Marty while I went to see Max at the hospital. She had been planning to return home to the Island on Monday of last week, but on Sunday evening it became very clear that Grandpa was not doing well at all. The family is saddened, of course, that he is gone. Mixed with that is relief that he didn't have to suffer any longer, and his health could have gotten much, much worse. It was a really nice day, lots of relatives came from Alberta and Saskatchewan. A good reunion, of sorts.
Many thanks to Lizzie for watching the boys while we were at the church service.
Yesterday was a busy day, and the boys were really tired. I had noticed that Max's eye looked a little pink, but thought I'd wait to see what it was like this morning. As we were putting on jammies, Paul saw it and thought we should take him in to the walk-in clinic. We decided to make it a family affair as Marty has a funny scratch near his nose that looks like it got infected. I had been treating it with Polysporin but it didn't seem to be improving much. I called the clinic to see if they were busy. She said no, but the doctor was leaving in 24 minutes. We made it there in about 10. First up was Max. After peppering the nice Doc with questions about the charts on the wall, he complied to an examination. The doc was so great. He said matter of factly, in his deep Indian accent, "You are right. This eye is infected." Marty's turn next. I held the Bug while the doc looked at his face. I told him that his Grandmother had suggested it may be infected and to ask for a certain type of medicated ointment. He said, matter of factly, in his deep Indian accent, "His Grandmother is right. This is infected and needs a stronger ointment."
Off to Safeway to fill the prescriptions, then to Canadian Tire while we waited for them. We were all going to go in, but Marty fell asleep on the one block drive over there. I sat with him and watched all the people coming and going. I noticed that there seems to be a system with Canadian Tire visitors. A buddy system. Most people coming and going were accompanied by a friend, spouse, or child. It was really fascinating. And everyone seemed so eager to get in to explore. Then I got to thinking, is there anywhere else in the world that has a store to compare to Canadian Tire? I don't know much about big box stores in other countries, but I bet there really is nothing like it. Although I've heard some people refer to CT as Mexican Wheel ...
Back at home, Max tolerated the first dose of eye drop fairly well. This morning was a different story. I forgot to ask how long we need to keep up with the drops. Sadly, he'll be missing Sunday School AGAIN tomorrow. We were away for the long weekend, then missed last week because of the broken arm. Now it's pink-eye. Sheesh. I might send Paul off on his own.
Today Paul is getting serious about building our garden. Can't wait till it's ready for planting. What shall I plant at this time of year?
Wow, when it rains it pours!
ReplyDeleteYour poor boys, I hope they both get better real soon!
Sorry to hear about Paul's grandpa, but how wonderful to know that he is with our Lord now.
My goodness, you have had your share of health issues. Enough already eh? Hope everyone recovers quickly and is restored to FULL health.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you were able to celebrate Grandpa Hiebert's life with family and friends. And a praise item that he didn't have to suffer.
Ack. I've missed so much.
ReplyDeleteWhat a few weeks, eh?!
Wishing you well and praying for your family.
i hope they are okay and ready to see all the fish on wed. heres hoping they are better.
ReplyDeleteI made your blog..woohoo :)
ReplyDeleteYes, it is pouring over in Zalinko-land! Thinking of you guys coping with all this at once!
ReplyDeleteBut you must be somewhat better as I read on FB that you did the aquarium today. Yay!