After seeing this recipe for No-Knead Bread, I went on a search for a good sturdy pot to bake the bread in. I popped into the MCC store yesterday (with all 3 kiddos!) and was happy to find this beautiful set of brown pots. The first one with the white handles is about a 12-inch cast iron casserole dish, wider than it is deep (it's white inside, as well). Aside from some faint stains and scratches on the bottom of this first one, the paint is in like-new condition.

This one is just a metal bowl, white inside and brown outside.

And I just couldn't resist this pretty little roaster. I'm thinking this will be what I'll bake the bread in. It's not a heavy-weight pot, but the bottom is quite thick, and I think it will withstand the heat well.

The total sticker price was $65.00 for all of them, so I debated about getting the cast iron one (they wanted $40 for it). I knew that a good pot like that is worth much more, but just didn't want to spend that much on the set. I asked the lady at the till if the price was negotiable. She called the manager over, who accepted my offer of $50 for all three! I even had some help from some kinfolk (Grandma Douglas and 3 of her daughters {in-law?}) I ran into there, who confirmed that these would be a once in a lifetime purchase.
Now, who's coming over for some homemade soup and bread?
Great new blog! Maybe I should try it too as blogger is not working well for me! Did you try the bread? Love your cool pots!
ReplyDeleteLove the new set up!!! Very very cute. I will come back later and take some more time to look around.
ReplyDeleteRachel I am so jealous of those pots. I've also been thinking about baking bread this way. Managed to score myself a cast iron frying pan, second hand, but no pots yet:)
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel, Love the new look & funky name! Would you believe that I started a blog on Wordpress a little while ago?! There's nothing on it yet & I have no idea what I'm doing with it.
ReplyDeleteNeat pots!
Becky
Just start using it, you'll figure it out pretty quick.
ReplyDeleteWhy did you decide to switch?
ReplyDeleteI switched because I couldn't settle on a blogger theme/template that I really liked, and mostly because I wanted to try something new. I really like how wordpress blogs look, and my friends who use wp all say how much they love it. And then when I saw the perfect template, I was convinced. I'm not looking to become a famous blogger, but did want to take it up a notch. So, WordPress it is. ("info@customphoto.ca" was undeliverable.)
ReplyDelete