Back in November I celebrated my 33rd birthday. Before moving here, I had it set in my mind that I wanted to do something special for this birthday, as the past several have gone by with little fanfare. Part of that was due to waiting for Jax to make his arrival, then still needing to be readily accessible to him through his toddler years, to just being busy, to limited finances, or being tired, or needing to lose 50 pounds and feeling unmotivated. Any and all of those factors, I'm sure.
Then we moved and began a new life in the Cowichan Valley. I have been welcomed into a circle of friends that took no time at all to embrace me and bless me in ways I could not have imagined.
You already know about this girl, and about how God placed her in my life at just
the right time. Sorry for gushing about that bit yet again, but it just can't be helped.

But long before her arrival in my everyday life,
was this lady who has blessed me in abundance for all my days ...

When my folks came for a visit in early November, we had no problem justifying an early birthday celebration with them. Who else could so perfectly fulfil my desire for a Mahogany Chiffon birthday cake with chocolate whipped cream?

Sharon helped me decide on what I'd treat myself with for my birthday, so a hair appointment was made at a posh salon. (But I paid the same there as I did when I used to get my hair cut by a lady with a business in her basement!) Dear Sharon arranged to meet me in town to whisk Jaxon away so I could enjoy my morning out. He and I did have a nice little time together at Superstore, but I wasn't interested in taking him (or any of his new-found friends) with me to my first appointment.
First stop, the day spa in charming downtown Duncan, where I got to redeem Sharon's gift to me of eyelash tinting. I can't say that I enjoyed the application and I'm pretty sure I burst a blood vessel in my eye (back to normal now), but I sure looked purty for several weeks after, sans mascara! The technician gave me an awkward hug across the table when she heard it was my birthday, and the hand massage she gave me while the solution was setting on my lashes was quite delightful. So that was first, then my hair appointment, then I was allowed to open the next card from Sharon telling me where to go next.
I really had no idea where I'd be going until I called to confirm the address and heard someone in the background call out to the hostess. A surprise luncheon for me! There were several ladies I know through camp, and even someone I had never met who came to help me celebrate my day. And they gave me presents! I was so thrilled. Jinny fed the ladies lunch while I was out being pampered, then cake and tea were served when I arrived. Jax had a little friend to play with but was so excited to greet me.

I met Jinny for the first time on a coffee date with Sharon back in October (on HER birthday, to be precise!), and I knew right away why she is such a special friend to so many people. I felt an instant kinship with her because she knew, loved, and cared for my Grandparents over many years. That she opened her home to us for this special day was truly heartwarming.

You'd think that was enough excitement for one 33rd Birthday, wouldn't you? But no, there was more! Not so much something special just for me, but that evening was the final get together of our Camp Family Thursday Dinner before everyone parted ways for the holidays. We enjoyed games, snuggles, food, more cake, and more gifts for the birthday girl!


I am truly and abundantly blessed!
AWESOME!!!!! this makes me smile :) You deserve it all Rachel!
ReplyDeleteWhat a special birthday you had!
ReplyDeleteThis post has me worried though...........did I remember to wish you Happy Birthday?
Thanks, Kelly!
ReplyDeleteAshley, I believe you did!
So special, Rachel! And I don't think you need to apologize for gushing about your newfound friendship. Love that God brought her into your life at just the right time.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to celebrate your birthday in so many nice ways! Since I met you I've admired your ability to reach out and befriend others--it's wonderful to see that you've been blessed with such a welcoming group of friends, too!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Miss B.
ReplyDeleteLisa - I'm so glad we can continue to grow our friendship even though we've moved away. I know where to find ya! :)
Love you! from teary-eyed Mom.
ReplyDeleteYay! for a wonderful birthday celebration! that sounds awesome! you are blessed. You deserved all that attention and love, Rachel! looking forward to seeing you soon!
ReplyDeleteI'm in your blog!! I should have know sooner....that was such a great day Rachel. We need to have you all over for lunch again very soon :-)
ReplyDelete