Sunday, January 27, 2008

just one story for now

We're home safe and sound from our little holiday in Prince Rupert. The boys and I had a great time visiting dear friends, and enjoying the SNOW (read: no rain!) in PR. Paul was a busy little beaver while we were away. He worked about 60 hours on a new "farm house". His boss wants it done ASAP, so this was the perfect week for Paul to start the job. We went and looked at it after church today and I totally love it. He's keeping a copy of the blueprints, so we can store it away for when we're ready to build a big house on a big property some day. It's a really great floor plan.

Anyway, I'll just share one story with you before I tackle the disaster zone that is our home.

On Friday evening, while we were waiting for our plane to arrive (it was late coming in from Vancouver), the boys and I wandered around the tiny PR airport. There's one super long hallway that I convinced them to chase each other up and down. Marty took some turns pushing our luggage cart too. Along the way, Max noticed a sign much like this one ...


We've seen such a sign before. Many times before. And we've discussed the meaning of this sign before. Many times before. This sighting was no different. We talked about what it means. We talked about how cigarettes have poison in them and that smoking cigarettes is yucky and stinky and not a good thing for us to do. He totally agreed. The next part is puzzling.

He said, "But Mommy. I have my own cigarettes."
I said, "Oh really? Where are they?"
He said, "In my kitchen." (He has a small play kitchen in his room.)

He did clarify that they are just pretend, not real.

I said, "Where in your kitchen?"
He said, "In my secret cupboard."

Then we had a conversation about keeping secrets from Mommy and Daddy. That's not good for a little boy to do either.

Yesterday he took me into his room to show me where his pretend cigarettes are. Then we had another talk about cigarettes - even if they're just pretend. Here's hoping the idea will pass soon. Sheesh.

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear...

    They grow up far to fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing what comes out of their little minds....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A secret cupboard! That is very funny! I'm amazed how kids learn so fast to be sneaky and secretive and how attractive something bad is to them. That's when I realize how hard and somewhat scary raising kids is. Glad we have God on our sides!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you are home...too bad max and sophie can't hang out any more, she is not allowed to be around the bad kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cor - kind of like Sophie's Daddy wasn't allowed to play with Max's Daddy when they were young? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corinna just made me laugh! Yes, you keep Sophie away from that bad boy!

    Kids are funny! I wonder what made smoking appealing to him?

    ReplyDelete