Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My weird kids - the sleepy, nudie truth.

Have you ever had a baby fall asleep in your arms? What do you do? You try not to move. You treasure every second.

Have you ever had a toddler fall asleep in your arms? What do you do? You try not to move. You treasure every second.

Have you ever had a toddler fall asleep in your arms ...
WHEN YOU'RE BOTH IN THE SHOWER?!
What would you do? What did I do?

I stood there treasuring the moment, enjoying the closeness and the warmness, and then wondered how the heck I would end the situation peacefully. Shampoo slowly dripping down my forehead, Max outside the door demanding I help him put his jeans back on (because he randomly chose to change his undie-wear), Marty was sound asleep! My only option was to put him down so I could rinse my hair and get on with his getting him in bed for his REAL naptime. He was none too pleased to be let down, so I quickly rinsed and scooped him up again. More enjoying of warmness and closeness, and I turned the water off. That was tricky as the taps are separate and I only had one hand to use. Didn't want to burn or freeze the boy. He got annoyed when I turned the water off and half-heartedly protested when I put a towel around his back. I wrapped him up in my robe and laid him on our bed. Max was freaking out about something again so I wrapped up my white wet self and went to him. I left Marty on the bed, crying, but warm and safe. He only cried a few minutes and then slept for two hours. Go figure.

So how did he and I end up in the shower in the first place? I had been trying to get him to go down for his nap but he was adamantly refusing. We played the stand-up-put-back-down game (although it was no fun for either of us) for many minutes. Every time he stood up again he got more and more wobbly, trying to get me to pick him up. He was sooooo very tired, and soooooo very angry. I gave in and let him out of his room, suggesting that we have a shower.

You see, this boy, he loves the shower! He's recently taken a liking to joining me when I have a shower and then pushing me into the corner while I try to finish my showerly duties before he pushes me entirely out the door. Then he'll just sit and bask in the stream.

(These photos are not from today. I wished for a moment that I could take a picture, but the wish went away. Lucky for us all. He almost fell asleep on this occasion, too.)

Whenever I open the door to check on him, he shakes his head and squeaks out a "no, no no" until I close the door. Sometimes he gives me the "shifty eyes"...


I take him out before the hot water runs out. I soon began considering the impact of water waste, and the fact that my poor tenant downstairs might not have much hot water if she wants to shower, so I"m thankful this little habit of his has been short lived. But it was glorious while it lasted. He'd sit in there happily while I got ready for the day. And it's so much easier than bathing him! I guess I wouldn't make it onto Team Power Smart!


Every now and then Max will join him and they go crazy chasing each other around the 2 sq. foot space. Or they sit and, uh, compare ... things.


Afterall, Max has been known to strike a cute shower pose, back in the day. (About 17 months old.)


And since we're talking about cute and sleepy ... I'll throw in a few extras.

Reading after a bath.
20 little toes.
Daddy is THE MAN when it comes to brushing teeth and clipping nails.
You'll never guess what's happening at the top of these legs ...
Surprise, surprise! Beans on toast - worth staying awake for? I guess not.
They were both asleep, until I moved The Bug into the picture.
But he can still strike a sweet sleep pose.
Max can spell his name! Ain't it great?! In permanent ink! On his arm! He proudly came to show me the M and the A. I encouraged him to finish it. We left it for a day or two and the M started wearing off. Then we magically removed the rest with my sweet new Norwex cloth!
Family of Padraigs. I wanted to get a picture of me and the boys in our slippers. Marty has outgrown his and mine are getting threadbare. A year of regular, heavy use was all the life they would give me. I still wear them now and then when I need the cozy feeling, but my Birkenstocks are now my regular house shoes. Now that I've gotten a good suede cleaner, I'm very happy with them.

I hope you enjoyed the cuteness and the nekkidness, and thanks for checking in on us.

21 comments:

  1. What cute pictures of Marty in the shower! There is no way i could ever get Kai near a shower and he falls asleep in there?! Wow. Cute kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are too cute!
    What a funny kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There used to be a TV show called "Kids Do the Darndest Things" (or something like that). If it was still on, you could have entered the antics of your boys! Never a dull day with little children around. Thanks for sharing your stories and pics - they are truly delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are officially Abby residents....and I'm now waiting for those chocolate chip cookies ;)
    We are # 117 and our door is always open to you and your sweet boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous pictures -- what a couple of cuties! I must say I thought my kids had fallen asleep EVERYWHERE, but they're never dozed off in the shower! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooooo cute! I love those moments of snuggles and cuddles and wish I could just freeze the moment. Even capturing it on film doesn't do it justice! And there's something so sweet about sleepy little boys - my heart just melts seeing your two sleeping cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT post and AWESOME pics! Wow, you sure have a good reason to keep the floor of your shower clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. too funny...your boys are great. looking forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your boy is really funny!
    am i wrong or is marty quite big for his age? he looks really grown up in those pics!
    have a great week!
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aweeeeee! they're so cute. I want cozy slippers like that someday...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, shower times with little ones are very special, until they pee on you....not that I'm speaking from experience ;)

    Great photos, your little guys are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I haven't commented lately, so I thought I would say I love the home-made tattoo and wish I had sleepy enough kids to sleep in the shower. Sweet Moments like those need to be held onto forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. nothing like a cute, naked boy to get lots of comments, hey? :)
    So very funny, your two boys. love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a hilarious story. Thanks for making me laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It occured to me while reading this post that you have a LOT of pictures of Max & Marty sleeping in random places. :) I like how in your title you called your kids weird.....well, they must get it from somewhere!!!! :) haha Probably from Paul, right? :) Loved all those pics and the funny story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a great post! I totally cracked up (no pun intended) seeing the pic of marty 'resting'
    on the shower floor.....hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  17. tooo cute Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too funny...your kids amaze me at where they all fall asleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, these are the CUTEST pictures EVER, and you are the funniest, best writer EVER!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  20. AWE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I can say no more

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!!!! as everyone else has already said...great post! Seriously so funny! You are a great writer and your boys are adorable! Also loved the "Meow" video! Thanks again for the invite:)

    ReplyDelete