I have this notion that Marty will be potty trained before the baby comes. That's about 8 weeks from now. (!)
Max was a cinch to train (at least in my foggy memory of the process). I don't really recall much opposition from him. Certainly not the opposition the little Bug is giving me. The biggest hurdle has been to actually get him to sit on the potty. Early on I moved it into the living room. He gets to watch cartoons when he's on the pot, and it's much closer to all the action in the house than the bathroom way down the hall. At the suggestion of my sister, I finally forced him on the potty and them pumped him full of as many jelly beans as he wanted. The boy is a chipmunk so it was a lot of jelly beans! Trouble is, I feel sick after eating just a few, so I'm not surprised that he's not so eager to eat jelly beans every time I want him to sit. We had one successful pee on Monday and nothing but messes yesterday. This morning I pulled out the marshmallows. Big hit! I gave him one and snuck off to the shower. Max came running in to tell me that Mart had pooped on the potty! (Here's where more of the crazy bit comes in ... turns out this pregnancy still causes me to have a hyper-sensitive gag reflex. Nice.) Then it was time to take Max to school. We did that and even made a few stops, all clean and dry. We came home and I offered some coloured marshmallows (that we had stopped to buy on the way home). He wasn't interested until I gave him a teaser to try, then he really wanted them. I set the oven timer for 3 minutes and when it beeped, off he went to the potty. I gave him about a dozen in a little cup. He'd only had two or three and started to pee! Yay! I took the rest of the marshmallows away until next time, and set the timer for half an hour. There's about eight minutes left till we try again before getting Max from school. From no success yesterday to two before lunch already, I'm very pleased.
His reward for actually producing is a "Dibs" (bite-sized chocolate ice cream covered in chocolate). Thanks to Kelly for that idea, who expertly trained Taeya (just one day younger than Marty) in the summer. I originally tried the Dibs as incentive to get him on the potty, but it melted. Works much better as a reward.
I've kept him in underwear for his naps (with a mattress protector), and he's woken up dry both times. I think part of what made Max so easy to train was that he had been waking up from naps and night-time dry for a long time. Marty's still quite wet in the mornings, but hopefully as he learns control during the day, the night will change too. We've kept him in a diaper at night as I really don't want to deal with changing sheets in the night. Not sure what to do about church on Sunday. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.
I'll keep you posted.
sounds like things might be turning around for you in this area! isn't it just so wonderful when they start to get it? Here's hoping the trend continues and he finishes training strong :)
ReplyDeleteWe kept Taeya in diapers for nap and night for a few weeks, until we were confident she was trained, but we didn't do anything special to train her for them. I guess they just have to learn somehow, and some kids don't self-train nights and naps for a LOOOONG time, I've heard.
ps. yeah, dibs are definitely a reward, not an incentive ;) haha
I feel nervous knowing I'm entering potty-training territory again, but seeing you do this in your 3rd trimester gives me hope! I hope Marty continues to improve over the course of this week.
ReplyDeleteMicah is still not consistent with dry nights and after trying to go straight to underwear, we decided it was too much work to change sheets every night (sometimes 2x). But he's finally having more dry nights than wet ones, so we may be getting close to saying good-bye to the pull-ups!
Sounds like some good success. I'm starting to think my third will be trained before my second. Will my potty training days ever end? Hope yours end much sooner than mine!! Good for you for going for it!
ReplyDeleteSounds hopeful (except for the gag reflex!) Some people are now calling toilet training, "toilet learning" - what I like about that term is that it takes some of the pressure off the parent to "train", and wait for the child to "learn" - realistically, it is probably a combination of both. I am glad you were given a glimmer of hope today, and maybe, just maybe, Marty will give you a lovely birthday present of no daytime diapers.
ReplyDeleteOma
i can't beleive your due in eight weeks , how exciting !!!!
ReplyDeletedenise
Hi there! I didn't realize you were due so soon! How exciting!
ReplyDeleteI have a 2yr old who is ready to be trained, but with the arrival of Baby #6, I'm putting it off for a while.