
Max. Oh Max. I'll save the first day of preschool story until we see what happens tomorrow on the second day of preschool. Max has been having some major sleep issues, waking up several times in the night. I've tried not putting him down for a nap, but he so needs that break in the day. I tried just giving him quiet time in his room, which he has been enjoying at other times lately, but he ended up begging to go to sleep, and slept for 2 hours. I suspect we'll just need to tough out a few grumpy afternoons until he adjusts and then hopefully he'll have a full night's sleep. I know he is so incredibly overtired but it's hard to settle things when he doesn't get a good night's sleep. He always needs a nap if he's been awake 3 times in the night! The Gravol I gave him that one time didn't even really work. I think he slept through one night last week but that's it. Veeeeeeery frustrating. Your experiences and advice are welcome!
I wonder if it's something about this age. Aliya went from sleeping 12 hours at night, with a 2.5 hour nap every day, to sleeping 11-12 hours at night, no naps, and waking frequently at night. This all happened right around her 3rd birthday. Since starting preschool, she's sleeping 12+ hours at night, generally not waking at all at night, and falling asleep at some point during the day. She's not 'napping' (quiet time instead) or else she's up until 9 or 10 at night. But she'll fall asleep in the strangest places...in the stroller (when we're not even moving), the car, even on the kitchen floor! Who knows what's going on with these little ones!!
ReplyDeletegive him Warm milk with a little bit of Vanilla in it before he goes to bed...works for me :)
ReplyDeleteI feel for you Rachel. It's so hard to know what to do. I would say being very consistent will eventually work. Bed at the same time most nights and very little attention when he wakes up--just pick him up and tuck him back into bed. Maybe a nightlight? That seems to have helped Michael after a few sleepless nights. I'm praying for you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI think it's the age because I am struggling to give Jade a nap or not most days. If he has one no matter what time of the day, he'll be up way too late and if he doesn't he will be fallinf apart by later afternoon. I usually just keep him up and try to deal with the crankyness but it's hard. I feel bad when he gets that tired. Oh Rachel...it's so hard to know what to do! as for him waking up in the night...not sure?? Maybe just getting over the busy summer you all had?? I will be praying for you all as you get his schedule sorted out....I am also wondering when we can make it out there for a visit??? Maybe monday???
ReplyDeletemaybe you can cut the naps? so that you wake him uo after 1h1/2 on the one day, then after 1h 3-4days later and so on.....maybe that helps?!
ReplyDeletehope it´s getting better soon!
leslie
I wonder if you let him have sleep when he is tired if he will right his own schedule. He is grumpy becaue he is tired. He may not be sleeping properly because he is over-tired too. As an old crock not a child, I have that kind of cycle. When I get overtired I have trouble sleeping. Dumb isn't it. If nothing else helps see what happens by just letting him sleep when he is tired, somehow that seems like a natural cycle. Meanwhile you will be getting overtired too you poor dear - sorry about that.
ReplyDeleteBarry
We are having some similar adjusting period with Rowan.
ReplyDeleteI like putting 2 drops of lavender in a kleenex and waving it around a bit for him to sniff.
Coping during the day in the meantime is not fun at all.