Here he is, eager to go and showing off his backpack. I bought it last year after Marty was born, in hopes that Max would pack his things around in it when we were out. Not so much. But he's now taken to it quite nicely as his school bag. Of course he had to show the back first!

All smiles ... for now.
This day was supposed to start with taking Paul to work, but my folks ended up staying with us for a few nights so Dad was able to take Paul to work. Yay, Grandpa! That let the boys sleep a little longer. Mom & Dad were without a vehicle, so I was chauffeuring them for the morning. They waited in the truck with Marty while I went in to get Max settled. Dad had to get to the bus depot to send a package by 9:25, so I didn't have much time to dawdle with Max. We went in, found his cubby, hung up his backpack, and got signed in. He went to play right away, but as soon as I got ready to leave, he was wrapped around my leg. I tried to distract him a few times but each time he seemed to go with it, he'd cling again as I tried to go. I looked around for help and asked his teacher to help me get away. I couldn't just leave him without someone else to cling to. He was crying, most passionately. Heart-wrenchingly. I was pretty sure he'd calm down soon, and Dad had to get to the bus, so I made my way out. Miss Karina tried to calm him, and he was not interested. Cries for "Mommy" filled the room. As I walked back to the truck, I looked back only to see my little boy burst open the doors and reach for me. Karina scooped him up and ushered him to a quieter room. When I called 10 minutes later the other teacher told me he had calmed down quite nicely and was playing happily. Phew. When I picked him up 2 hours later, they were all outside in the playground. As soon as he saw me, he was all smiles and said "I had a good time at preschool, Mommy!" I was so proud!That was Thursday. For several days we talked about how brave he was and what a big boy he is and that he doesn't need to cry about me leaving him at preschool, because I will always come back and get him. He was determined not to cry and talked about all the fun he would have, including playing with his new friend Kooper. When I dropped him off on Tuesday, we were hopeful for a better result. Not so. He was nervous again, cried again, and Karina came to help. When I picked him up that time the teachers told me he had only cried for 2 minutes and then was fine. Baby steps. And this last Thursday? It was a breeze! He found Karina right away and started talking her ear off. Hardly a wave goodbye to me and he was ready for class!
After Thursday's class, he started talking about his other friend, Groucy Anna. What kind of name is that?! I had no idea. He was very sure that's what her name is. As I had a few questions for his teachers (and will surely have more), I found Karina on Facebook and asked her about "Groucy Anna". She told me that she and the other teacher had been laughing about that quite a bit. The girl's name is Graciella. We've since been practicing how to say it properly. He better talk nice to her because his other friend, Kooper, is off to Disneyland and won't be in class next week. He's been telling me all day that he won't cry at preschool next time, and has been asking to go there and even pretending to go - backpack full of plastic food and all!
When I picked him up on Thursday, Karina said he's doing really well in class- participating, obeying, telling stories, not wandering away to push forbidden buttons. So, I'd say we're off to a good start.
He also asks if we're going to the nut doctor after preschool. We had an appointment with our family doctor on Thursday to get a referral to see a pediatric allergist to finally confirm if he's allergic to nuts or not. We weren't able to get him tested when we lived in Rupert and now we need to know for sure, as there are strict guidelines the preschool needs to follow. We're waiting for our appointment with the allergist. Will keep you posted.
I really like this new background colour.
Oooooo! And! I'm weaning Marty. After he chomped me so incredibly hard when I was nursing him the other day, I decided to get this over with! He hasn't nursed since early early (too early to get up and too tired to fight with him) this morning. Paul's been putting him to bed at night, and yesterday for naptime I sat with Marty while he cried it out for a bit. It might not be so hard after all. Here's hoping.
i like the new background color too :)
ReplyDeletehope Max gets more and more comfortable at preschool!
hope the weaning goes well! :)
Ah, sweet pictures. Pretty soon Max will probably be asking to go to preschool every day, and the only time Marty will be nursing is in his dreams!
ReplyDeleteI like the new background, easier on these old eyes than the green.
you are just as brave as max..!!!! these kids just grow up fast....he looks like such a big boy with his back pack.
ReplyDeleteits good that you are able to leave him when he's crying-- we deal with that a lot at the start of the year here (and even now in the last term we're still dealing with it occasionally) but the worst thing is parents who have worse seperation anxiety than the child. i realize it must be extremely hard for them but we can pretty much garuntee their child will settle within a couple minutes of the parent leaving and its just so much worse for everyone when they keep hanging around. won't be long and max will have no problem going to preschool!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Max! What a big boy you are going to Preschool! Way to go Mommy! Way to leave your crying boy! How hard that must be. I only know this because I've seen it so much with parents at our PS. The anguish they feel leaving their sad child. It's so much easier when you do it the way you are though. Reassuring and leaving quickly. They adjust so much quicker. Hope he settles in and enjoys it. He's such a social child - he'll do so well.
ReplyDeleteSounds like he is on his way to being a preschool pro. :)
ReplyDeleteThe "nut doctor", that is cute and funny! Hopefully you can get in to see him or her very soon!