Max, studying a ladybug last summer.
This afternoon he went to his friend's birthday party. I was quite surprised when I picked him up to see that he had agreed to having his face painted. It was already half smudged off by the time I saw it, and I couldn't quite figure out what the drawing had been. As soon as I asked him, I already knew the answer. His face lit up and he cheerfully told me it was a ladybug! Co-Inspectors, Max and buddy Kooper in October.
As I was on my way for one last email check tonight before bed, I heard an odd sounding cry from the boys' room. Paul had just spent quite some time convincing Marty to go to sleep (and then fell asleep himself, on the floor), and I hesitated to go in, but the cry sounded urgent. It was Max, saying he needed a kleenex and help to blow his nose. The poor boy is totally stuffed right up. So bad that he gags when he tries to blow his nose. In the dim light, I caught a glimpse of something that made me worry that he was coming down with a terrible affliction. I almost had him off the top bunk and into better light before I realized what that was on his face that looked like a nasty bruise - the ladybug. Totally smudged by now, but one of those things that served to remind me that these days will pass all too quickly. My big 4-year old boy ... still not too big to cry out to me in need, yet strong enough, bold enough, confident enough to wear a ladybug on his face in front of all his peers. I hope he is well enough in the morning to go to yet another birthday party. Maybe he'll even find another ladybug.
I love ladybugs. I hope the little guy feels better, soon!
ReplyDeletenicely written rach...made me tear up a little at the end.
ReplyDeleteHey Rach,
ReplyDeleteA belated congrats on the 3rd wee man!
We tossed around "Henry" with Davin - Hank (for the "a" factor!) I like Harry too, but it sounds better pronounced with an accent, ie: Hawrrry, rather than Hair-ee.. hmm.. Garett? Vaughn? Ralph? Marvin?
Ok, getting silly, here!
Sorry about the "bruise" on max's face. Dani quickly claimed face painting as her "job" I don't know that i could even tell you it looked like a lady bug to begin with... but i did get a picture, i will have to email it to you.
ReplyDelete