We're home for our short reprieve before heading back for Week #2 of camp. This time it's the little monsters, Grades 4-7. We had a great time last week, although we came home tired and 3 of us with a nasty cough. Marty seems to have gotten by without catching the bug from us. His little immune system is working well. More on camp later when I download the pictures.
So what's The Big Stink? That would be our fridge, and its freezer, and the entire contents of each of them! I opened the fridge and noticed a foul smell but assumed it was from the milk and veggies we forgot to toss before we left on Sunday. I closed it up, told Paul about it, and went in the shower with Max. (My dirty, snotty, tired boy.) I heard Paul shout something from the kitchen, and he came to tell me it wasn't just the milk and brocolli - it was EVERYTHING! The whole fridge must have concked out soon after we left because everything was at room temperature. Salmon, pork ribs, sausages, those frozen dinner buns - ya, they will rise in a thawed out freezer! He said there was dough everywhere! A dozen eggs in the fridge, milk, cream, cheese, all the leftovers my Mom so diligently wrapped and put in the fridge while they were here.
We contacted our landlords who were away having a lovely vacation. They suggested a friend who may be able to fix it. That friend said to call the appliance repair guy. He didn't answer on a Saturday evening so Paul rushed off to Sears to buy a new one. Even if the old one could have been fixed, the stench would not be so easy to get rid of. So he found a nice new one that was on sale. Sears delivered it an hour ago and it's now cooling our lonely jug of fresh milk and new bottle of ketchup. They even took the old one away for only $20! And the new one holds 2 jugs of milk in the door. What fun!
How awful! What a way to come home!
ReplyDeleteGotta love those 'helpful' landlords. Our washer/dryer died when Cade was 4 days old. I had a total breakdown and left Vancouver Island I couldn't handle it! I went and stayed with my mom for a week or 10 days and it was at the end of that stint that we finally got the new appliance (and it wasn't even a 'new' one, just a refurbished one!) Another reason why I'm so excited to move to my new house... if something breaks we can just buy another one!!
one of my worst nightmares........all that food-what a waste of $$$$!!! I feel so bad for you guys-not a nice way to come home from holidays!
ReplyDeleteOther than that, I hope you are all doing great-How are things going with little Marty?
Good thing you have such great landlords!!!!!
ReplyDelete