Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My town has no milk. No milk for sale anywhere. If you live in BC, this is likely old news, so this is for my readers from far far away. The only highway into PR is closed in at least two places due to flooding. The excitement all started a week and a half ago with a massive landslide across the highway. Sadly, two people from Williams Lake were trapped in the 10 meter high mountain of debris and did not survive. Just as traffic was beginning to trickle through the area, the rivers started running over their banks. Local state of emergency has been issued in several areas of Terrace, 1.5 hours from here.

I did a big grocery shop yesterday (with both boys and it was surprisingly peaceful, thanks to the "car" cart I managed to snag.) I did forget one thing, though. Milk. When Paul came home and realized my oversight, he headed out to Safeway to stock up. Thankfully we drink whole milk, and there was still lots of that. He got 3 jugs, which will hopefully get us through until the trucks, or boats, or planes, or river barges, arrive with more. I hope the truck with all the asparagus arrives soon, too.

Did I tell you about last fall when our town ran out pumpkins on Halloween? I even saw a man leaving Safeway with a trunk full of pumpkins and unloading them into a cart outside of Overwaitea.

10 comments:

  1. Good news......Safeway is bringing up groceries on the ferry tomorrow night. Milk and produce will be among the shipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Crazy! The floods are unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't imagine kids without milk. It would be very 'tense' around here without it for cereal. Glad you were able to stock-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand the need for milk, but the asparagus?
    When are we going to hear the ending of the Air Canada story? You are keeping everyone in suspense.
    Good thing it's another few weeks before you are leaving Rupert. I would think the road would be OK by then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, thoughts and prayers lately! I just took a few moments to read past posts! The birthday party looked like loads of fun! I can't believe you have a child who was a little skeptical of cake! ha! They sure learn quickly don't they!
    Please feel free to add our new corrina blog as a link. We would love that.
    Hope that those trucks come rolling in soon; i can't imagine that... really makes you think about food actualy being brought to towns. I am usually under the impression that it is just 'there' all the time for me! I have think more globally.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. yikes! i, too, hope the milk paul bought lasts you until Safeways next shipment comes in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see hoarding milk, but pumpkins?? That's just wrong.

    We've found ourselves without milk before, due to bad weather, and then I wished I was smart enough to keep condensed milk or even powdered milk on hand for emergencies. Darn! Even though it tastes gross, we could use it in a recipe or something that calls for milk. We just suffer through.

    Good luck getting your milk and produce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - that's crazy. I live in BC and it's still news to me but that's because I don't watch the news very often :)

    I don't think Micah would survive a morning without his "chawkeet miwk"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for visiting my blog Rachel! It would be great if you come to our church when you move down here.
    this flood stuff is crazy... we are waiting each day down here to hear when it is going to hit. We're not in the flood zone, but Steve's bro & SIL live in Mission and said that it could become an island with the only road remaining accessible designated for emerg. vehicles only.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids drink soy, so I guess they would be okay. (Well, Makenna doesn't drink it but does have it on her daily bowl of Vector.)

    Hope your ship comes in. Asparagus though? Ewwwww.

    ReplyDelete