Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Danger Stranger

Unbelievably, yesterday I heard from two friends about abduction attempts on their children. This is really distrubing to read about but so very important. As parents we need to educate ourselves and prepare our children. My sister told me about a book she read that really helped her to teach her kids about strangers. She told me to go to the library TODAY to get the book. I did (because she said so and she's smart and if she thinks it's a good book, it's a good book.). Although, no matter how "stranger aware" they may be, we just can't let them out of our sight. I think I'm on the alert a little more after the unsettling stranger beside us on the ferry yesterday.

T's story happened this past weekend at Rolley Lake in Mission ...
"It is every mom's worst nightmare. Someone tried to abduct K, our 3 year old son. We were camping this weekend and basically what happened is K went outside the door of the washroom while (Dad) was finishing up and a man walked out of the bathroom and grabbed his hand. K thought it was Dad and walked away with him. When Dad walked out the door (ready to discipline him for leaving the washroom after Dad told him to wait by the sinks) they were 30 feet away. Dad called K and the man dropped his hand a kept walking. So we have been processing some grief in what could have happened if Dad hadn't gotten out of the washroom when he did. A few moments longer and they would have been out of sight and Dad would not have known which way they went. We thank God for his protection. I always imagined something like that happening where they have to convince the kids to go with them or they take them screaming, but I never thought my kids might mistake them for me and go willingly. You know, it can happen so fast and with you so nearby! It's so scary. Thank you Jesus that nothing worse happened. Last night I went into his room and just held him thanking the Lord over and over. The interesting thing is that in the last month or so K has been asking a ton of questions about strangers. What is a stranger? How do I know they are a stranger? Is that person a stranger? So the issue was that he thought he was with Dad. We were at a big church meeting a couple weeks ago and a guy came up to K and wanted to give him a high five. K wouldn't do it and I explained to the man that we've taught him not to touch strangers. His response, if you can believe it, was "I'm not a stranger." So I pointed out to him that to K, he is. At any rate, after that I confirmed to K that the guy was in fact a stranger and he did the right thing.
All this to say, once again, thank you Jesus!!!!!!"


Here's the story of E's scare ...
"We were just past Harrison at a day area that we've been to before. The kids were in our sights but this guy was either really stupid or really brave. My girls were walking around looking at the birds and this guy comes up to them and starts telling them about some birds he saw in the trees. Then he starts leading them away towards the trees. Thank God I noticed before they were too far away, and went running after them. When the guy saw me, he just walked away. I knew that A (younger sister) would follow a stranger - she has no fear of anything or anybody. But I NEVER thought that H (older sister) would. We have talked about strangers, and even played the "stranger" game. but she actually didn't believe me when I told her he was a bad stranger. She just kept saying "but he was nice". It was only after the police confirmed my suspicions that this guy was up to no good that she believed me. Praise God that the girls are okay!!"

The book is Protecting the Gift - Keeping children and teenagers safe (and parents sane), by Gavin de Becker. It's the follow-up to his book, The Gift of Fear.

7 comments:

  1. I hate reading stuff like that....freaks me out! But it's a good thing because sometimes we get too comfortable I think and not pay as close attention as we should in public so thanks for the wake up to always remember to have both eyes on both my children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. freaky. It's so nice to have those stories as a reminder, when there is a happy ending!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes...thanks for the heads up on that.
    and thanks for the invite too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing those stories, Rachel. They serve as an important reminder to all of us. We can teach our children about strangers, but the most important thing is still vigilence because children of all ages have difficulty transferring the "idea" of strangers to the "reality" of strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary! The thing kids find hard to understand is that strangers can appear to be nice. In their minds a stranger is somebody who looks evil. If someone is friendly, how can they be bad? It's a hard lesson.
    My kids have always been too shy to talk to strangers. I'll be sure to look up that book.
    Is your blog for 'members only' now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness. thanks for this. I need to get Jason to read it too... he's a bit more or too easy-going sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a lump in my throat. I can't stand stuff like this. even close calls. I lost G in a mall once when he was 2ish and got him back quickly but it was the worst 5 mins. of my life EVER. Totally freaks me out. Must go to online librabry and request book now. And as Mad-Eye would say Constant Vigillance!
    P.S. Thanks for letting me 'in'.

    ReplyDelete