hhmmm. here's how it went. the boys and I arrived in Nanaimo shortly before 10:00 am. I was hoping to get onto the 12:40 ferry. we waited, waited, waited, waited. The boys were fairly patient, and enjoyed hanging out in the front seat with me as we crept along in the line-up to the terminal. We didn't make that sailing so we were waiting for the 2:20. We were ushered into the overflow and took a little trip to the playground (a really nice one at Departure Bay, fenced in with rubber floor material). We headed back to the truck in time to move ahead through the ticket booth and into the real line-up. That's when Marty chose to doze off in his carseat. I let him snooze for a bit but Max was getting restless so we headed to the restaurant for lunch. We spent a bit more time in the playground and made it onto the 2:20 sailing with no problem, although it was a little nerve-wracking when they closed the gates right at the loading dock, with only 3 cars in front of me. Once on the ferry, we walked around outside and checked out the kid zone. Max tried very hard to convince me that he should go play in the video arcade. This is when things really started to deteriorate. We went and got some ice cream (why do I always get swirl when the chocolate is so yummy all by itself?). There was a danger stranger sitting beside us. He was trying to be funny for the boys but he was just kind of weird and creeped me out. We gobbled up the ice cream and cruised around the ship a few more times. We all got bored so we headed down to the truck about 30 min. before arrival. I put the boys in their carseats and they were both asleep within minutes! I enjoyed the ocean air and was eager to get home. Well then, what's a long day in traffic without some more slowdowns? We came upon one accident before even getting out of North Van. and then yet another just two exits before ours to get home. I deked out to a different route and pulled in the driveway at 6:30 pm!
The highlight? My large steeped tea,
double-double triple triple, and a cheese croissant (warmed up, of course!). Frieda and I tried to get one twice while on holidays and they were always sold out. It was a lovely ending to my 9 hours in traffic. Another highlight was when Max spotted a Napa Autoparts truck. He burst out laughing - "look at that funny truck wearing a hat!" He laughed about it many times over the day.
The worst part of the day? The results from Canadian Idol.
Have you thought about writing a book, 'Travels with my children - journey's to the dark side' (or somesuch, I'm sure you could think of a better title). While they're not always fun for you and the boys, I hope you take some consolation in the pleasure we take in reading your exploits. Perhaps it could be like a ninja-mum survival guide?
ReplyDeletethanks trees! ninja-mum, I like that one. today was really not too bad at all. I forgot to add that the boys slept from 4 pm to 5:30/6ish. That really helped matters!
ReplyDeletephew! glad you made it though. very resourceful, keeping those boys occupied.
ReplyDeleteSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cheesed with the CI results. how WRONG!
You are so brave venturing all about by yourself with both the boys. Sounds like the boys were real troopers!
ReplyDeleteAwwwwe max how i love him,and can just picture him laughing at that truck :)
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain with your trip and the cheese scone! Been there many times--only with one extra child, and I often go to Starbucks for the lemon cranberry scone and half the time they are all out. Terrible! I was none too impressed with the results of CI as well. That made no sense at all! Thanks for the funny story.
ReplyDelete