Saturday, December 15, 2007

Teeny tiny little world

Last month we had a nice lunch and visit with my dear friend Vera and her hubby Jonathan and little man Daniel.


I met Vera in July 1999 when I traveled to her hometown of Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine. I still remember our first meeting, outside on the balcony of what was then called the "International Church". She introduced herself to me, saying that her name means 'faith'. She lives up to the name well. We worked together that summer and again in 2000. We became fast friends and I have missed her dearly over the years. I never imagined our paths would cross again, but they did when she married a Canadian boy! The world seemed so much smaller then, especially when I learned that her husband is the brother of one of my co-workers from my first stint at House of Yams James. We got to meet her beloved when they came to Canada shortly after they were married in 2004, and I got to introduce her to the two new men in my life - Paul & Max. I heard bits and pieces from them over the next few years, and I knew that their ministry involvement had taken them to a "Restricted Access" country, but we had somehow lost touch. Imagine my surprise this summer when I saw them in the parking lot at the grocery store. I was just arriving and my boys were snoozing in the truck. I had noticed this uber-cute pregnant lady and her tall husband and smiled at how cute they were. But I just had to look again because she looked so much like my Schuba (Russian, meaning 'fur coat'. Because she has a winter coat with a fluffy fur lining). I called her name, and I think she was just as surprised to hear that, as I was surprised to see them! They were on their way out of the store, after someone in line had decided to pay for their groceries. They were parked about 2 stalls away from me. Crazy.


As we had both lost touch with each other, it was so nice to meet up. Although SOMEBODY out there reading this was sure to have known they were in this part of the world, and SURELY, he would have made sure we got together for a visit. Right? They had come to Canada for the birth of their baby, which was about a month away from the day we met in the parking lot. Daniel arrived early and Marty and I went to visit at their apartment shortly after he was born. I saw them again at HoJ and we finally arranged to have them over to our house for a meal and visiting.


What a blessing to have this treasured friendship, though thousands of miles will likely always separate us. And it's so neat how God brings people together. I'm so glad He chose to give Vera & I some new memories, and to share the journey of wife and mother together.

Even just for little bits at a time.

3 comments:

  1. That is so neat! What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - that's the coolest story! So glad you got to reconnect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! So great to hang out with friends :)

    ReplyDelete