And now we are home from week 2 of camp. And so happy we all are to be here in our own beds, kitchen, soft carpet, and clean showers. Paul ended up being a counsellor for Junior camp so he didn't really get a chance to recover from his cold. Mine and Max's have nearly run their course. I had a pretty good system for dealing with Max's curiosity and self-confidence ... a babysitter! The one I had originally arranged to come with me was unable to come, but I found someone on Saturday who agreed to come and did a fantastic job! I think toward the end of the week, the novelty of chasing a 2-year old wore off, but overall she seemed to enjoy herself. A few of the other moms that were at camp were delighted to meet a new babysitter in town so I expect our new friend will be getting a few more sitting jobs this fall. Max had his own room again where I set up a bed for myself. When he woke up, I would go in, set up the DVD, set him in the chair, then crawl into my sleeping bag to doze for a while. The temptation of the computer sitting there proved to be too much for him most mornings so I couldn't go back to sleep completely. After a few rounds of that day's video, Marty would usually wake up, as well as the others I shared the building with (4 separate rooms, 2 of which were mine!). Then it was off to breakfast and on with the day. One morning Emma and Max went to the pool in Terrace while Marty and I looked on, another morning we went to Wal-Mart, and we also spent one day at the beach with the kids.
Yes, it was a whole lot of effort to have two small kids at camp, without the ready help of their Daddy. It was often a drag and I wondered how I was crazy enough to do such a thing. But I really wanted to be there to experience camp "as a family", and it was such a great opportunity to get to know kids in the youth group (week one) and kids from my girls club (week two).
"Doat! Doat! Daddy's Doat!" One of Max's favourite hang outs. Paul drove the boat for youth camp and Max got to go for a few rides. It was more fun for him out of the water, as he wasn't so sure about the rides he took on the lake. And he often attracted quite a crowd!


When he couldn't go in Daddy's doat, he settled for the dingy. I took him out a few times (not a picture that you will ever see!) and he invited this little friend at the beach for a ride. They didn't get very far.

And he had sooo much fun just being with the big kids. Learning new words, playing with their ipods & digital cameras, lots of high-5's, plenty of people to put on a show for.
No comments:
Post a Comment