Tuesday, May 8, 2007

hiccup

We had an unexpected repair to deal with yesterday and today. As we were sitting down for dinner, Paul noticed that some of our nice new planks of laminate flooring were starting to swell and lift up at the ends. Hhmmm. Not so good. He started pulling up the floor and found that it was quite wet. Like, really wet. Our dishwasher (the mechanical kind) has never worked really well and doesn't always drain. The last few days I've noticed it has been a little musty smelling when I open it after a wash. And one-third of our dining room floor sure smelled musty when he pulled up all the laminate. It was pretty clear that the dishwasher was the culprit so he took it out (it had been installed right on top of linoleum, which was really warped) and was clearly suffering from a leak of some kind. So, new dishwasher, new flooring, all is well. He only had to get 2 boxes of flooring to replace the damaged wood and got a deal on the dishwasher. As far as our first major problem as homeowners, this wasn't too bad. For my Hubby who is such a talented problem solver, it was a cinch.

The weather is generally improving. Much warmer. It still rains but it's vertical now, rather than when the wind blows and it rains AT US. Sometimes it rains and sunshines at the same time which is really quite lovely. I bought my garden gloves today so now all that's left is for me to find the oomph to get outside.

Marty is still nursing rather aggressively, and I've been working hard to put him off much longer in the day. Both boys were alive, awake, alert and enthusiastic this morning at 5:45! What?! Conspiracy. They both had marathon naps yesterday so that may explain this morning's stunt. I woke Max up after 2 hours today and he was clearly very grumpy by bedtime tonight so I hope this will set him straight again. The alarm clock trick worked well for about 4 mornings. This morning when he was a full hour early and so raring to go, we didn't bother. Marty was just as eager to begin the day. It wasn't too bad today as Paul was able to get a good start at fixing the dishwasher issue.

Hhmm, I think that's all for now.

Congratulations to Rick and Sarah Bugslag
on the safe arrival of Richard Vernon III.

4 comments:

  1. If you are up at 5:45 again tomorrow, give me a call.........I would love the company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of warming up...it hit 31 C here today. And the rain is yet to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't the first to suffer the curse of the leaky dish washer. It seems to favour new wooden floors or laminates. Have had three friends now who suffered the same curse!! Glad you kids are so capable and can deal with it at minimum expense.
    I have been in touch with Anna + Julia Reimer. Both have new names of course. I have sent them both your blog address and e-mail address. Great to be in touch with both of them again. Both responded to the shirt e-mail.
    Blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing you were home and caught the leak before it got worse. Someone once told me to close the intake water valve to the dishwasher before going away on holidays (also the valve to the toilet) to avoid the possibility of coming home to water damage. I have never done that, but perhaps that is not such a bad idea. Of course, I would probably come home from vacation and wonder why my toilet and dishwasher did not work!

    ReplyDelete