He gnaws. He clamps his go-go-gadget chompers on to my milk giving flesh, and he gnaws. He's got such a stong suction latch and such gigantic front teeth ... Ouch. Like I said, he doesn't bite on purpose. He just gets so into the goods that it really starts to pinch. As he's only a few weeks away from one year, I think I'm ready to start weaning. He drinks like a pro from a staw so I don't expect it will be very hard to get him onto cow's milk. I do need to get more creative and find some finger foods that he enjoys. He doesn't much like to be spoon-fed. Oh goody, he's discovering his independance!
Did you know that the King of Independance himself lives in our house. Max. Sheesh. When I'm not exceedingly frustrated, he really cracks me up. He wants to do things himself so much that he'll go and 're-do' something. Example: If I'm holding his hand, encouraging him down the hallway to go to bed, he'll suddenly decide he wants to do it alllll by himself. He'll let go of my hand and then go back to the start of the hallway to do it again. "No Mommy, me do it!" If I close a door and he wanted to do it, he'll open the door and then close it again. It's also becoming increasingly clear that we need to start figuring out how to teach him not to interrupt when we're on the phone or talking to someone in person.
The whining. Oh, the whining if he doesn't get something he wants, wants, wants! We're not at the "why" stage yet, but "What's that, Mommy?" is repeated a hundred times a day. I constantly need to remind myself that all his question
pestering asking is a GOOD thing. We certainly don't want to discourage his questions but he's so demanding for an answer. Even when we answer his question, sometimes he's still not satisfied. The worst is when we're driving and he spots something that I don't, and then freaks out when I can't tell him what it was. It's kind of frustsrating because so often he knows what something is but still asks anyways. We're trying to teach him to think for himself a little more. Oh, and think for himself - he does! He's becoming quite an opportunist when I'm occupied with Marty or in the shower. He comes to close the door and then expresses his independance as he has free reign of the house! He usually goes for the coffee maker or the tin foil and plastic wrap boxes. The forbidden! Another new thing he says that is usually pretty cute is "Hear me?"
I love my boys. Here's a little cuteness to show you why it's all worth it ...
His Padraigs are still quite big but he didn't seem to mind.
Just having a little snooze.
Whenever Paul's using a noisy tool, Max runs to the kitchen to get his protective earwear.
Marty's feverish days. Both these times he slept at least 2 hours snuggled up with me.
As soon as I brought the Ergo up around his back, he snuggled in to go to sleep.
ouch. i hope the weaning goes well when you start it! taeya still does fine with being spoon fed, but i understand the desire to be more creative with finger foods. it's tough!
ReplyDeleteoh max...mr. independent. of course i don't know what it's like, but it sounds like it has it's moments of frustration! but you're right - their cuteness makes up for it all!
Those are some super cute pictures!! Isn't it amazing that parenting can be so full of frustrations and joy, all at the same time. I hope that weaning goes smooth for you. Keep us updated.
ReplyDeleteOh so sweet. Looks like Marty is developing his older brother's open mouth smile style - cute. By the way, the apple did not fall from the tree when it comes to Max's determination for independence!
ReplyDeleteI love how your kids fall asleep in their high chairs. None of mine have ever done that. Michael is also in the independant stage. It amazes me how long he will try to do something. Keira is also asserting her independance in wanting to feed herself. Today I sliced an inch off a sweet potato, microed it and cut it up, and for dessert some yummy grated apple!
ReplyDeleteWhat cuties! Kids are the best!
ReplyDeleteI am glad that Marty is feeling better. :)
You're boys are so adorable! Kate has just started the independence thing... more often lately she tends to be more the opposite though and wants help with everything...even coming down the stairs. I think she is in a phase of acting babyish because she is seeing the attention Quinn gets from it! Quinn is also showing the need to do everything himself while eating...all he wants to eat is what we're eating which doesn't always work or satisfy. Good luck with the weaning...I'm down to one feed in the morning and Quinn still isn't really taking cow's milk...hopefully he will take to it soon.
ReplyDeleteWord has spread at work about Max, the singing evangelist. He has been the source of entertainment at quite a few coffee breaks/lunch hours. Of course, his Oma, does not mind showing off his talent!!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful - your kids are so adorable. I wish you much continued luck as you go through the sweetness and the struggles of family life.
ReplyDeleteSweet, sweet pictures. It's funny how, reading your post brought back so many memories of my biters and whiners. Somehow I lived through it and they got over it. Breast feeding ended with the biting. Whining took soooo much longer to fix. I hope you have a great Mother's Day.
ReplyDelete