Thursday, July 26, 2007

Some excitement

Life around our house is still scattered, unstructured, and often stressful. Interrupted routines, long daylight hours, living out of boxes ... it's taking a toll on our patience, and our focus. Last night as we were preparing an already late dinner, the stove stopped working. The corn and potatoes were mostly cooked and the mushrooms were going to be cooked just in time to join the BBQ steak on the table. The stove quit, creating a distraction for Paul who was outside tending to the meat. He came in to see what was happening and forgot to close the patio door. This was nothing but an invitation for our curious little Bug. We didn't see how he got there but knew something was not right when he cried out. He crawled over to me and I noticed the tell-tale grease on his hands. It rapidly became clear that he had reached up to see for himself what Daddy was cooking for dinner. We tried to calm him, the generous dose of Tylenol was the most effective method. I held him while trying to eat my dinner. I got a few bites of the really good steak Paul cooked, scarfed down the potatoes, and took a few bites of my corn-on-the-cob. After several other attempts to distract Marty from his misery, we decided to take him to the hospital to have his wounds assessed and treated. Paul and Max cruised around town while Marty and I waited to see the doctor. Thankfully, the wait was not terribly long. It took two nurses and I to hold him still to put the bandages on, and he came out looking a bit like a mummy.

He fell asleep on the way home and stayed that way as I put him in his bed and didn't wake until his usual early morning snack. We had a fine day today at Mill Lake Park with Holly and her kids, lunch at the mall, and then the boys both had a long nap in the truck when I got home. I parked in the shade, rolled down the windows, and worked on getting some things sorted out in the garage. After the boys woke up, Paul and Max headed to Home Depot and the dump, yet again. I took Marty inside to work on things there. It only took a few minutes of me doing something else until I realized that he was awfully quiet. That usually means one thing. He's playing in the toilet water. Sure enough, there he was - happy as can be, swish swishing in the loo. This made for one soggy and nasty bandage, let me tell you! I took it off and then, being the crazy super mom that I am, attempted to re-bandage his tender little hand.

Ha!

Failing miserably, I decided it was time to meet the lady next door. After a quick hello and explanation, the two of us managed to get him all put together. We had a great visit. She reminds me of my sister-in-law Kim. Very fun lady. I think we'll enjoy lots of tea times together. Her kids are a few years ahead of ours, and they're quite disappointed about that. They were hoping for new neighbours closer to their age. I know Max will enjoy their company, I'm not sure how well it will be reciprocated.

And so the day continued. Several interruptions, including a near fatal fall for our new wireless mouse. Paul still hasn't finished trouble-shooting the broken stove and is out for coffee with my cousin. What I am absolutely thrilled about is that my boys are asleep in their beds, and it's only 9:00! Today I covered their windows with cardboard boxes to block out some of the late evening (and early morning) light. I'm sure it looks tacky from outside but I. DO. NOT. CARE. Paul helped me do Marty's other bandage and he now looks more like a gymnast than a mummy. His fingers are totally free to search the floor for everything tiny and sharp.

9 comments:

  1. OH Marty!!!! Nothing like cooling some freshly burned hands in the loo! :)
    Glad you enjoyed some time out and about...we should run into you at the park some day...
    see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow never a dull moment for you!
    Poor little bug! Doesn't seem to be slowing him down though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!!! Poor little dude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Your life is not slowing down. So sorry to hear about Marty's little hands. That must have been scary. Way to recruit the help of your neighbor and good thinking on the window shades!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwe. he looks so cute with his hands all wrapped up. and thats funny that he plays in the Toilet. hes getting big. i dont like it :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe. Poor lil guy! Aren really misses him, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alvin & Denise EnglerJuly 27, 2007 at 3:40 PM

    talk about motivation to keep one's toilet clean! funny little guy!

    -de

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww..poor little guy! Hope he feels better soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH wow, look at his little hands all wrapped up. Glad he seems okay! Sounds like quite the crazy evening to me, I would be a bit of a stress case! What cute kids you have...

    ReplyDelete