Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Oh, my goodness!

Max and I were watching Oprah this afternoon. Did you see it? It was the part about "Laughter Yoga". The guy exclaimed "Oh my God!" And guess who repeated it? Max. Loud and clear. Shock! I immediately turned the tv off and told him he's not allowed to say that. Then he started saying "Oh my gosh". Okay, we never say that. Where would he hear that? On tv? I don't think so, more of the first phrase he repeated. He said "Oh my gosh" so many times, I couldn't believe it. Over and over again. The clearest thing he's ever said so repeatedly. I didn't like that coming out of his sweet little mouth either so I asked him to say "Oh my goodness". And that he did. Over and over and over again until bedtime. And now we know for sure that it's time to be very careful about what his little ears hear.

One thing he says, that I adore, is that he calls Marty "Narty". Sometimes it's even "Narty Nart". I can't tell you how much my heart warms to see them love each other so much. Marty totally lights up when he hasn't seen Max for a while, and Max always asks for "Baby" in the morning and after his nap. And yes, they're already squabbling as brothers always and forever do.

Narty Nart is a funny little kid. His latest thing is playing tricks on himself. He'll be holding a toy or dirty sock or some other treasure and put it behind his head. He'll do that once or twice, look at it, put it behind his head again, and then drop it behind him. He actually looks surprised that it's gone and then looks for it. So cute. Other than crawling really fast to keep up with Max, his other new skill is standing. He's practicing all the time. My favourite is when he has nothing to hold on to but still tries to stand. He'll get his legs and bum up in the air and doesn't know what to do. He then puts his head on the floor and laughs while peeking at us from between his legs. He's also discovered the fun of the LeapFrog alphabet fridge thing. He slides all the letters off the fridge and onto the floor and pushes the button to play the alphabet song. Just like Max did, and like Taeya is doing with her little key thingy. He pushes the button over and over and over again, rarely letting the song complete. He loves it, and we love watching him learn about how it works.

Sleep. As I suspected, the move into the playpen in our room broke his sleeping streak. He's been up both nights and I haven't bothered fighting him on it. Tonight he was so tired and I knew he was well-fed so I let him cry for about ten minutes till he fell asleep. Our poor boys are both still a little out of sorts and unsettled while these renos are being done. We're in the final stretch. Then we'll work on getting some good routines re-established.

Max continues to get up in the night. Last night we installed a new doorknob lock to keep him in, but we're feeling it's time to teach him to stay in his room on his own. It's not like he's doing it before falling asleep. He goes to sleep fine but is up in the middle of the night. We're starting to suspect he might be a sleepwalker. Anyone out there have one of those? Did I tell you that he got up twice in the night when we were at the Werdals? He made it all the way upstairs and outside their bedroom, crying for me and I didn't even hear him pass me while I was nursing Marty. Corinna closed the door after bringing him down the first time. Then when I went to settle Marty a second time, he did it again. This time I heard him at the top of the stairs as he couldn't get the door open. So strange. I'd love to hear any sleepwalking kid stories you have. And advice on teaching little ones to stay in their room.

Sick. Marty STILL has a snotty nose and Max seems to be getting ANOTHER cold. I'm so done with this!

Sorry, no pictures again.

9 comments:

  1. I was a serious sleepwalker and talker. Did some crazy things while asleep. Most of the time while needing to go to the bathroom. I wonder if that might be the case with Max.

    Narty Nart! Love it! Seriously so cute - I would have hard time not calling Marty that along with Max. Kaleb calls Kenna "Kenny" or "Ken". I wonder if she will hate that when she's older!

    Kaleb is into rhymes and so calls cousin Mikah "Mike Dike", which makes me giggle. (I'm so mature, aren't I.) And tonight he was rhyming with pit and right away came up with another choice word. (He makes up words when he rhymes - not that he has heard that word in our house!)

    Loved stories of Marty's new tricks. Now waiting for video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aidan has often done similar things to Max in the night. He usually does have to go the bathroom. I have always just taken him to the bathroom and put him back to bed without much comment. Eventually Aidan just got over it and got up just when he really had to go. You could try taking him to pee right when you go to sleep in case that is what is waking him.
    Marty sounds like such a little cutie pie!!

    Aidan has discovered how to strangle this week so of course Michael has been the unfortuante guinea pig of this awful trick.They are always discovering new ways to drive each other crazy (and their mother!).
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kids pick up everything, don't they? Words, phrases and all! so cute how they play together and are so connected as brothers.
    cute tricks, little narty nart!
    hope the sleep things start to sort out a bit...we're still being frustrated with sleep issues too - i want to chalk it up to something, but I don't know what, since no tooth has come through yet. she does still have a runny nose though?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Narty Nart. I love it. And we are in the same spot with watching the things we say -- yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun stories -- I hope you're writing them down for keeps somewhere. I love "Narty Nart!"

    We too have had trouble getting little ones to stay in bed, although it was always before they fell asleep rather than during the night. Don't tell anyone with social services, but we ended up latching their bedroom doors shut until they fell asleep with the three older ones. Maybe we'll be able to avoid that with Elijah. Levi was the funniest about it -- without fail he'd get up, try to open the door, and once he realized it was either tied shut or we were holding it, he'd get back in bed and fall asleep without any problem.

    Such silly boys.

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sleep! I have no real advice, as we've had to try different things at different times :)

    It's so great to have 2 boys - mine are best buds, and it sounds like yours are too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Narty Nart, I love it!! :)

    My brother was a sleep walker, he was older then Max when he was doing it though, he would get things like is pillows from the couch of his gumboots and leave them in weird places all over the house.
    Funny what our minds do when we are sleeping.

    Your boys are so cute I love all the stories you share about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. tim | helen | adia | kalanieApril 13, 2007 at 7:51 AM

    hey, do you know kerri and wade(who commented a few above here)??? or did they "find" your blog from my blog??? if you do now them, how?? what a small world??!! tim and i went to school with them and now kerri also works with tim. so funny....

    ReplyDelete
  9. tim | helen | adia | kalanieApril 14, 2007 at 3:18 AM

    that's what i figured about your connection. but i just wanted to make sure our worlds weren't really that small. glad you connected with kerri, what a fun gal huh??? and cute cute kids too!!!

    ReplyDelete