Paul & I have noticed this last week that Max has been a very pleasant companion. He's been happy, content, and generally compliant. What happened? I don't dare hope that the terrible twos are over, but we're encouraged by the change in him. A few things may be contributing. I think the biggest factor is he seems to have found his appetite, after being extremely fussy over the last year. Most days this week he's had a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast. I really do think that's been helpful. He has a warm, healthy start to his day with a full belly. Sometimes he snacks on it all morning or finishes it at lunch but he usually eats it all up. He's also decided carrot sticks are acceptable, which is good news. He now sits on a real chair for most meals, but sometimes sneaks away. That's a bit of a pain but his conversation skills are improving so rapidly tht he can usually be convinced (cajoled, bribed) into return to the chair to finish his food. Yay! And I haven't even started reading the book I bought "My child won't eat, How to prevent and solve the problem". As I said, his conversation skills are really takin goff. It's only just begun but we're having so much fun. Another recent success has been "time out". When he disobeys, or does a bellyflop on his brother, he sits on the hearth for 2 minutes (I set the timer so I don't forget him there, and so he knows when his punishment is over.) I guess it's the Supernanny "naughty spot" tactic. Once he understand more, I think I'll call it the obedience spot, or the kindness spot. After his 2 minutes are up we have a little chat about what happened then he says sorry "bo-pee" and gives hugs and kisses. He even sits there without trying to escape. Ain't it great? We're all enjoying this new stage, and hope it lasts till he graduates high school.
I should include a picture of this sweet boy but PZ left his computer at church. I'll try to post some new ones soon.
Hi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI guess one of the neat things about having multiple children is you realize that the stages won't last forever. Isaac has been a picky eater too. After having two boys that ate(and still eat) almost everything they can get their hands on, having one that is picky is weird.
I guess you've probably heard that we've got snow. It's quite deep and big drifts have formed across our driveway so we're stuck. Fun!
Enjoy you day and belated Happy Birthday!
Becky
Your little boy is getting big!
ReplyDeleteAnd cool to hear that Max is eating better! Gives a little hope for my own dear sweet daughter, though she is SO picky there should be another word for it!!! She JUST loves her MILK!!
becky - yours is another world! stuck in the snow with 5 little ones. but you're cozy and together. what more can a mama ask for? do you spend time with Colleen & Oliver too? I so wish I could have come over to see you all when we were there. next time!
ReplyDelete