I had a lovely chat with Cousin Heather today. After sharing Christmas stories and news about our babies, she asked if I'd be interested in a "Funky Sock Exchange". It's easy! Just buy one pair of socks and send to one person. At the game's completion, I'd have 36 new pairs of funky socks. Although I managed to come up with some insanely tacky outfits in highschool (often incorporating my brother's old 80's Christian rock band t-shirts) ... along with some funky socks ... I chose to decline her invitation to the F.S.E.
(How many other people remember can't forget those ever-so-unglorious days of my wardrobe decisions? I don't want to know. DON'T TELL ME!). I wasn't even tempted to participate. Ever since someone came over for a visit and sat next to the pile of clean laundry on my couch and said "Oh ya, I've heard you always have laundry on your couch." ... I've tried to stay away from numerous unnecessary garments. My dear sister-in-law and nieces have been getting bags and bags of things I just can't bear to keep in my closet any longer. Yes, some day I MIGHT fit them again, but I don't need them now and it feels good to purge the hangers.
(And start fresh when I lose x amount of pounds and inches.) January is about new beginnings for many of us. I was encouraged by
Rachel Anne as she shared her aspiration for this new year.
"When faced with a decision, I want to pick the nobler path." This was a connecting point for me as I seek to serve well in my role as wife, mother, domestic engineer. This home is to be a refuge, a sanctuary, a retreat, a fortress for our family. It is well known that I am not gifted in organizational skills, nor do I suffer from neat-freakishness.
Kudos and admiration to those of you who do better than I! I am quite the opposite. How does a girl like me create, maintain and encourage a home environment that is safe and nurturing for my dear ones? I aspire to take the noble path in each decision of how I spend my time in caring for my home. May it be reflected in my attitude, tone of voice, the food I prepare, the "relaxing" I do, the laundry I sort/wash/dry/transport/dump/sort/fold/sort again/put away.
So today, taking the nobler path started with saying "no thanks" to 36 new pairs of socks. I have more important things to care for.
This made me laugh this morning because I can count the number of times I've been to your place on one hand, but there was laundry on the couch:)
ReplyDeleteI would love to see you in your creative clothes choices from your younger days!
My closets (and whole house) are in need of a purge too, I am in the midst of working on it, a little each day.
ReplyDeleteI was asked to join in the sock think too and said no as well.
Good luck in all your sorting and purging! :)
Thanks for the reminder today of choosing the nobler path. I needed that as I enter the 3rd day of potty training with Michael with more messes than successes! I am with you on the neverending cycle of laundry. ELizabeth
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Rachel! I too am feeling the purging urge... I am STILL staring at the boxes of Xmas stuff piled in my room and can't wait until next week when I can get to it all. Here I was thinking I was nesting, but maybe it's a universal "new year" thing that I'm feeling!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny how we feel pressured to work towards something in the new year. Your goal for '07 sounds fantastic. I want in on the sock thingie.. I looooove funky socks. Yes, I admit I don't have great style. haha
ReplyDeleteI should clarify that funky socks are not uncool, I'm just not interested in 36 more pairs to store and keep clean.
ReplyDeleteIt's the Elizabeth comment page! How funny.
Liz - if you really want in on it, email me at rzalinko@citytel.net and I'll try to hook you up. I wanted to send you an email too but coudn't find your address on your profile anymore.
Lizzie - I thought you were going to say that you NEVER saw any laundry on my couch! Sheesh.
Elizabeth - potty training at your house again?! Thanks for your tips for my first experience. All is going very well. I guess it will help you that Michael has a big brother setting the example.
When I was a kid, my mom used to hire teenagers from our church to come and fold laundry. She just couldn't stay on top of it and it was worth the occasional $5 to get it done stress-free. I think it's great that you're a busy mom who isn't ashamed to leave some clean laundry in plain sight - a lot better than those places with *dirty* laundry flung all over the place! Bravo, Rach, for drawing lines in your life that are realistic...who could possibly put 36 pairs of funky socks to use!?
ReplyDeleteI have been over plenty of times and not seen laundry on your couch. I didnt make that comment did I? When I was growing up we had a laundery table in the basement and my mom would just dump the clothes on it and we could go and fine what we wanted. It was very convenient and saved her a lot of time!!
ReplyDeleteDidn't have time to comment before, but loved this post!! Great thoughts and I'll join you in your resolution!
ReplyDelete