This day was so wet, so windy, so miserable. But the boys and I managed to find some free, educational fun. We went to check out the new StrongStart program at a local elementary school. It's an early learning centre that we first heard about from our - much loved and dearly missed - friend, Mrs. Barker. She got the centre up and running for them before moving away. THANK YOU, LAURIE! We met our friends Debra and Isaac there and we all had a great time. Marty even got in on the fun. The centre has a sand table, rice table, dinosaurs, A FULLY STOCKED KITCHEN (I fully expected him to spend the whole morning there but he did venture out for other things.) Max sat well for story time and music time. I wish I had my camera as he and Isaac looked so cute, each with a native drum. I'll take the camera next time. We're going again on Friday with another little friend. LB - the sign in sheet was full! Just from yesterday and today. We fully enjoyed our time and will definitely be back.
I found a new toy that I quite like. It's by "Melissa & Doug". I love love love wooden toys. I'm adding a link to their products. They don't actually have them displayed on their site, but a site in the US lists them all, and you can buy them in Canada through Mastermind Toys. Does that make sense? Click this link to browse them, and Mastermind Toys to buy them in Canada. Some of my faves are Shape Sequence Block Board, Take-Aong Tool Kit, Farm Cube Puzzle, Shape Sorting Cube, Pound and Roll, Flapping Duck Push Toy, Frolicking Frog Pull Toy. And there's something I'm searching for, not sure if it's by Melissa & Doug or not. It's a wooden cube, maybe 1'x1' with a whoooole bunch of locks and fasteners and buckles and latches. Let me know if you know what it is and where to find it.
I've found some "Melissa and Doug" stuff at Winners before. Got a really cool reward chart for Kaleb this summer. Great stuff!
ReplyDeleteYa those toys look really fun and reasonable prices too...that's great!
ReplyDeleteSo funny Niki-I was coming to the comments to tell Rachel about my Melissa and Doug finds at Winners, but you beat me to it:) They are great toys but I guess the Winners doesnt't really help you in Prince Rupert:( Something for you guys to search for on your next trip here.
ReplyDeleteGreat minds think alike, Lizzie! :)
ReplyDeleteI love shopping and bargain hunting for other people, so if I find anything we can "store" till your next visit, I'll let you know! :)
....And May!!
ReplyDeleteThose are just great! I will keep this in mind for July!!
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you've found a playgroup that works for both kids! I'm looking forward to getting back into the baby group routine at the health unit, and this year we get to go to Toddler Group too!
ReplyDeleteIn response to your comment on my blog:
WMST = women's studies
And Frieda called me up! I guess she looked me up in the book. You'll have to come to the island in the summer and visit (I'm only 30-45 minutes from her!!)