Friday, January 19, 2007

You'll never guess what I did? Inspired by Niki, and in taking the nobler path, I made two fresh meals for my family today! Okay so that's not really exciting but I did it with some element of enthusiasm! What astonishes even myself, and I feel is totally blogworthy - I included cayenne pepper and fresh ginger, according to the recipe. Can you believe it? Those who know me and my mild Norwegian tastebuds will know this is big stuff. Once again though, my timing is off. I made what is sure to be a super yummy stir-fry and didn't put the rice on in time. So now my veggies will be too soft while I wait for the rice. Ah well, the enthusiasm is a big step. I also tried another great recipe yesterday that is a gooder - Rachael Ray's Roasted Pork Tenderloin. My timing was off in that I didn't let it rest for the 10 minutes she insists is essential to achieve the "yum-o" factor. Later on, I think I'll add her and a few other links to my blog for meal inspiration at my (and yours) fingertips.

8 comments:

  1. I'm your inspiration? Awww, shucks, that makes me feel wonderful!

    Funny though, because today I had one of those days were I struggling a bit with the job of SAHM. Didn't feel like cooking or cleaning or even dealing with the little ... "blessings" who call me Mom. Thankfully Andy came home and gave me an hour of time ALONE in the bedroom so I'm feeling a bit more sane now!

    Good job with the cooking, Rach! I'm trying to take the nobler path with you, so maybe we can help inspire each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason & ElizabethJanuary 19, 2007 at 2:29 PM

    Wow! You even enjoyed it! That's awesome. I always find making meals for my family one of the most satisfying things but maybe that's cause I like cooking. The timing will come so the more you do it the more you'll like it. It's encouraging to hear how you are trying to be the best Mom you can. Thanks for that. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki - I couldn't comment on your blog earlier because my internet cut out but I wanted to tell you that I used barley in your chicken soup recipe because I didn't have any wild rice and it was great! Even better the second day. We love it, thanks for sharing the goods.

    Elizabeth - you inpire me greatly! Both your culinary skills and your servant heart. Love you, miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't it feel good to accomplish stuff like that? I love cooking and making new things, but lately I find myself making the same old stuff because it's just easier with two little boys tearing this place apart! My sister loves all the Rachel Ray recipes-I should check it out. I am a die hard Best of Bridge girl-everything turns out good and it's pretty simple stuff. They also have all their recipes online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work! I am in dire need of some pre-prepared tasties in my house so that I can avoid the nausea of cooking. I'll have to check out some recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmmm.... barley! Will have to try that with the batch I'm making tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you!! I find coming up with ideas difficult these days. I may check out the recipes from Rachel Ray. I have no clue what to cook for tonight........hmmmmm, maybe one of your delicious meal ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Rachel Ray.. well, actually, she grates on my nerves (get it?!) but I really like her recipes. Yum-o, indeed!
    Timing's a tricky thing to get down, you should have seen my schedules for Thanksgiving.. I had a chart with the oven temperatures and everything!

    ReplyDelete