Friday, January 12, 2007

Rustic Roost

Here we are, home again. That means plugged in again. We very much enjoyed our little holiday. It was a great time to refresh and regroup before a busy spring season of life and ministry. (Thank you Kelly for the reminder that life is ministry!) We were so thrilled to find such a great place to stay, just days before we left home. We'd been planning for a few months to get away this January since we can't go down south for THAW - an annual retreat for youth pastors and youth workers in our denomination. I started searching for cabins to rent in the Smithers area - far enough away from PR to have snow and be AWAY, but still only a half day away. I found a few places and my favourite was the Rustic Roost. Check out their pictures! They don't have their prices listed online and it looked so nice I figured it was way beyond our budget. Later, a friend here in town had offered us their "cabin" in Smithers. The more we heard about their place, the more we were convinced it wouldn't suit our family at this time. (No running water OR electricity. No thanks, no matter how cheap. And it wasn't cheap!) So I went back to the top of my list and gave them a call at RR. Within minutes we confirmed our reservation. Their prices are VERY REASONABLE and we couldn't believe how nice the place is. There's really nothing rustic about it. Things that nourished our souls ... a wood stove, flannel sheets, lots of birds visiting the feeders, sunlight on snow, nowhere to go, no phone calls or email (but did have PZ's computer to play with our new camera), one very brisk toboggan ride a short way down the driveway in the -20 C weather, a few snow angels, fingerpaints, new Jolly Jumper, and of course ... Canadian Tire. PZ was quite pleased with their customer service as he returned a broken garbage can and a broken tool box and came out with a new and better one of each. Gotta love it.

There was a screw in the wall that kept him very busy.
But then along came Daddy's shiny new tool box. I love it - it has a lock!


Happy little Bug

12 comments:

  1. Those pictures are just fantastic. It looks like you had such a great time. I cant wait to hear all about it in person and I am happy to have you home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your camera does take beautiful pictures!!! And it looked like a very relaxing lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stories and great pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you had a good holiday! I really enjoyed your pictures - too cute! Look forward to chatting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear you had a lovely time!
    I enjoyed the pictures, are you liking your new camera? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Rustic Roost certainly looks like a great place to spend some R&R. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics of your days away! What a quaint little place!

    We missed you and your blog! Glad you are back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great place! Glad you had some great family R & R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok - i've caught up now! Great pictures of the boys and the little trip to the "cabin." so glad you got to get away for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos, Rachel - they give a wonderful glimpse into your holiday and family life. I love how Max is half-naked in most of them. How goes the potty-training?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics! I'm going to look into getting your camera!!
    Sounds like you had some well-deserved family fun.. the boys are so cute together! Now I hope I have another boy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel-I love the picture of you with Marty lying on the floor. He's got the look of love for his Mommy and it made me all teary. I love that mushiness(is that a word??) between Mommy and baby boys:)

    ReplyDelete