Monday, January 15, 2007

Marty Singh sings

Marty is quite a little songbird. It seems like he's got more to say than Max did at this age. But it sure is cute. He'll take a big breath and let out a big squeal, kind of like a sigh. When he's not singing, he yells at us, especially at big brother when he's giving him "squishy face". This "singing" reminded me of a story my dad wrote on our family website just after Marty was born. I like my Dad's stories, hope you do too ...

"This morning I was showing off a picture of Marty in my class. Someone asked me what his name was so I told him and added that he didn't have a middle name -- just as I don't have one. Some were quite surprised about that but one girl, Kirandeep, looked a bit puzzled and then said, "Of course you do. All men have a middle name and it is Singh!" She was quite shocked to discover for the first time in her 16 years in Canada that only men with roots in northern India who are of the Sikh faith have Singh as a middle name!!
-- KSM"


Potty training is going well. We went to our friends' house for dinner last night and every time I asked Max if he had to go pee he said no and ran off to find the big kids. But then 4-year old boy G. had to use the loo. I didn't know he had given Max a lesson until Max called me from the bathroom. Turns out G. prefers to stand at the toilet and Max wanted to try too. Trouble is, Max is really short! 'Nuff said. Today there was no undoing this lesson learned and he actually had some success with this new technique. Hopefully this will bring on the end of the "little potty". He's even given in to using it as a step stool.

In other news - PZ and I both had our first visit with a registered massage therapist. Ooooooooooo, it was so wonderful. I've been having trouble with a pinch in my shoulder and, aw shucks, she wants me to go see her again for another treatment next week or two. Until last week, PR hasn't had a RMT and we were so excited to hear that she's coming once a week to our chiro office. She comes out every Monday from Terrace. We get good coverage through our medical plan so WHY NOT?! Today the chiropractor told me to start wearing running shoes at home to support my high arches. On a tip from Niki's friend, I've been admiring Earth Shoes, although I still very much want to get some Padraig slippers. (I'm on a waiting list for a pair from the new distributor here in PR.)

Our little town has been in the news a bit lately. Did you hear about the tsunami warning? Um, nope, don't worry. This town may be on the edge of the ocean, but it's all way up on the hills. Don't know if there has ever been flooding here, ever.

That's about all for now. Time for bed.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting...we had a warning for the same tsunami here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloo there!
    In answer to your question, earth shoes do have a moulded footbed so the arches are raised. Is that enough support? Mine are super comfy and when I've tried to wear 'flats' or my slippers I end up swapping back. Earth do have a slipper but they are (in my opinion) VERY expensive - the same as a shoe.
    Will pop in again soon, your comments on Niki's blog always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max's potty story made me chuckle. :) That is great though that he is doing so well with the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story from your Dad! I didnt' know he was a teacher? (We are now a family of FIVE teachers, as Brent, my younger bro, is in PDP year at UBC currently!)

    I LOVE my massage therapist and chiropractor!! Often want to give 'em a big smooch after I visit! I mostly see my RMT when preggo, and miss him when not! ;)

    Now I am addicted to looking up Earth shoes on ebay! Actually, not just looking up, but buying! I SHOULD have just bought one to try out first, but saw a cute pair of red runners for a great price, and thought it would be good to have something more "sporty"! Bad Niki! Definitly look at ebay to try them out, as the prices are WAY more reasonable than new. Too bad you don't live closer, you could come by for soup and to try on my new shoes! Can't wait for the mailman to bring them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know RMTs can help with preggo pains. Wish I had known that. I'll be looking her up next time, that's for sure! I called my chiro today to ask about the earth shoes. She's never heard of them but said anything is better than nothing. I may see what our local store has or maybe even some Birks. And I'll be ebay'n too.

    My dad is a teacher until he retires in 6 months! He works at Princess Margaret in Surrey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so much fuin reading your blog and seeing pictures of your hansome little men.
    Glad to hear potty training is going good.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no clue that Marty doesn't have a middle name. And that's a very cute response on that girl's behalf...
    Miriam, my friend, added Singh to both her boy's middle names actually. They are half EI.

    ReplyDelete