We have another small kitchen appliance to dispose of - the microwave. It's done zapping our food and is now zapped itself. Since there are more important things in the budget, (LIKE MY PADRAIG SLIPPERS THAT ARRIVED IN TOWN TODAY!) we'll see how we can do without one for a while.
My sister seems to manage without one, I CAN TOO!
NO MICROWAVE!!! What are you crazy???!!! Haha just kidding...I've contemplated chucking ours out the window, while aiming for the dumpster of course, many times but am always stopped by my beloved husband who loves that thing. I did switch it's ever ready place with the toaster oven instead to be healthier...and it has worked somewhat with reducing the amount of microwaving time we do now.
ReplyDeleteBut yes good luck with that~
we lived without one for a number of years. that was in the pre-baby stage of our marriage. before the little mouths began to demand food NOW NOW NOW!!!
ReplyDelete-de
Wow no micro... I don't think I could do it. Good luck let us know how you fare. :)
ReplyDeleteReid and I lived without one for the first year and a half of our marriage (still would be without one if Mom and Dad hadn't bought one for our birthdays!). We survived great. Mind you we have no children so that probably makes a difference!!
ReplyDeleteI've always preferred the taste of food warmed up on the stove rather than the microwave. Anybody know why? Maybe it's just psychological.
ReplyDeleteI have heard that there are such people in the world that dont use microwaves!! Wow, and now I know you! lol Good Luck!
ReplyDeletemy in-laws have never had one (which means alf didn't either until we got married). they probably will never get one. but being used to one and getting rid of it will probably be an adjustment, but for padraig's, who cares!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI'd like to point out that I do have a microwave, I've just never bothered to bring it into the house. I think that everything a microwave can do, a stove can do better. Unless you insist on buying microwave popcorn. Give me air-popped any day!
ReplyDeleteI agree that a stove can do it better, but where do you find the patience? Is it just a matter of being better organized?
ReplyDeleteit's not about finding patience - it's about not finding the money! So far so good. I think it will mean more pots and pans to wash but we can manage. You're all so encouraging of my bravery!
ReplyDeleteOK stupid brit question... what IS a toaster oven?
ReplyDeleteIs it the same as a toaster? (Put bread in and out pops toast)?
The whole 'oven' thing is confusing me. Or is it a toasted sandwich maker, for making toasties?
Trees,
ReplyDeleteGood question! I didn't know this was a cultural thing ... a toaster oven is a small oven that sits on the countertop. It's handy for baking small things so you don't have to heat up the big oven. Small pizza, nachos, tuna melt, or just plain toast. Many of them come with a cookie sheet and broiler pan too. Another cool thing that I'm missing already is that they heat up really quickly. What I don't miss is how much counter space it took up! I'm enjoying all the free space. Do a google search to see one of these wonders if my explanation doesn't make sense.