Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thus evening

This is how my Grandpa writes his daily emails to my Mom and her sisters. (I think that's how he incorrectly abbreviates Thursday, maybe my Mom will break her silence on my blog comments to correct me :) I should get a copy of one of his emails to share with you. He's a pretty cute old guy. His name is Paul, too.

My baby is crying right now but I feel I've done all I can for him. He's well fed and has a fresh diaper. Since his cold over the past few weeks he's no longer interested in his soother (suckie, pacifier, dummy - translation for my international readers) and the ibuprofen has yet to kick in. Tooth # 2 is poking through on the bottom, making him an unhappy boy. He's in the angry cry right now. Okay, I'll go snuggle him again ... back now. Poor little one, he just doesn't know what to do with himself. I hope that last snuggle with a little somethin' extra will settle him for the night. I really don't mind that he's given up the soother. Upon my last attempt to give it to him just moments ago, he adamantly refused it. Okay, done. That's a battle I won't have to fight in the months/years to come. Max did the same thing when he got his first bad cold and started teething. It's also good that he's called it quits because we keep losing those little suckers (ha, no pun intended!). As for the aforementioned "sleep training", we haven't really gotten there yet. I'm still considering the strategy. So far we seem to be coping with the late night and early morning nursing. My dear sweet supportive considerate husband usually gets up with Max and brings Marty to me when he wakes up. Marty will often nurse and go back to sleep for a while, which means I get to as well. I so love how PZ loves me this way. Max has been kind as well, often sleeping until after 7am in recent weeks. He sometimes hints that he may be giving up his naps and just plays in his room until I let him out, but it doesn't seem to be becoming a habit. He'll still sleep 2-3 hours, yay!

Back to my Mama ... I shouldn't give her too much hassle for not commenting on my blog. She's a busy lady, don't you know? After today (Friday) she only has 6 weeks of work left until she retires! It's 6 weeks too many for her liking but she's a dedicated lady so she'll carry on. Is anyone (or someone you know?) in the Abbotsford area interested in a 24-hour/week Administrative Assistant (and everything else a church secretary does and is responsible for) position? Comment here and I'll get you in touch with my Mom.

Oh dear, it's late. I should take care of a few things before bed. PZ just started "cutting in" the paint in the hallway, I feel like I should contribute something to the household as well. G'night.

8 comments:

  1. Jason & ElizabethFebruary 16, 2007 at 12:53 AM

    I think Marty and Keira should get together, have a good chat and call a truce for their mommies. You seem in much better spirits than I am about getting up in the night and dealing with teething! You are lucky that Paul is able to get up with Max for you. I love it when J is able to do that for me. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, just like his father. His sisters had relatively little trouble with teething, but he suffered with every tooth. Nursing at night was the only way anyone got any amount of sleep. I read something recently about some research that was done (observations were made during painful medical procedures with babies nursing vs. not nursing) on breastfeeding and its effect on pain, and it apparently showed that breastfeeding gives some temporary relief of pain. I have noticed that it sometimes helps at the time of immunizations.
    I can definitely sympathize with you Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope that Marty cuts his teeth quickly! Our household has been unbearable at times with our screaming, cranky teething toddler. I hope he cuts his teeth quickly and leaves you to blissfull wonderful sleeps and that both your boys sleep until 8!! Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marin was about the same age when she was getting her first 2 teeth, they came in 2 weeks apart and after that is when I said no more and we started working on getting her to sleep through the night. It only took about a week and after that it has been smooth sailing! And nights FULL of sleep! :) Good luck to you guys! :)

    Can't wait to see pics of all your house transformations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I accepted your challenge and wrote a comment before I went to work this morning. I thought I clicked the "publish" bar; maybe it's out there somewhere.
    Thus is the abbreviation my dad uses for Thursday. I watch for his email everyday or else I find out why he hasn't sent one.
    I hope your baby is feeling better now. Babies work so hard to grow teeth only to lose them about 5 years later and we make a big deal of that too.
    As for the Administrative Assistant position - it's currently for 24 hours/week, not really full time. There is the potential for the hours to increase, but definately not before July and maybe not then. Perhaps there is someone for whom 24 hours is just right.
    Officially 6 Fridays left now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's quite something he's given up the soother already! Aliya still uses hers at night :-) I hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There have been moments of teething pain that Taeya has refused her soother, but 2 seconds later she takes it. I'm grateful for that right now because it helps her sleep! I can see the tooth just under the gums, so i know it's coming, it's just a matter of time. I hope marty gets through this next one fast and gets into a good sleep habit. Taeya and Marty have things to teach each other, I see. I have to say, I love having a baby a day apart from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to your Mom!!

    ReplyDelete