Saturday, February 10, 2007

Simplify

Tying in to choosing the nobler path, and inspired by my brother's family, we've begun our spring cleaning purge! For Paul, it meant finally saying goodbye to his beloved toaster oven. We had two safety concerns about the 5-year old appliance. One of the elements is gradually and increasingly warping. I was scared it would snap one of these days. There was also so much grease baked into the interior, we were concerned it may just self-combust. And so it sits outside, waiting for next week's garbage day. (Are you allowed to put such things out for curbside collection? Perhaps he'll take it to the dump.) We agreed that we won't have a toaster oven again until we build our dream home with a custom kitchen. :) And for me, the purge means taking down the Ikea corner shelf from our kitchen and tucking it away until we figure out a better location for it. I love shelving, (and boxes to put things in, too) but have come to realize that hidden storage is the key to keeping the clutter to a minimum in our house. We also had to take it down as we're painting the kitchen and hallway. Bye, bye avocado green. I'll post some pictures sometime for you to see. It's actuallly very close to the same colour as my Mom's vintage Mixmaster machine. How many of your moms had a small appliance, fridge or stove of that colour? Purging, for me - and my mother agrees - does not mean getting rid of that vintage Mixmaster. I feel an odd attachment to it. I also purged my Tupperware collection a little bit. That said, we're taking steps to de-clutter and simplify our home. Feels good.

I enjoyed Oprah's guest last week - Peter Walsh from TLC's "Clean Sweep". His new book, "It's All Too Much" - An easy plan for living life richer with less stuff - looks like a good read. He seems to have a good philisophy on simplifying life.

11 comments:

  1. one thing you can do to declutter but not just throw things that are acutally a bit useful away (i think the toaster oven probably needed to be left to die though) is freecycle http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreecyclePrinceRupert/
    i don't know how active the prince rupert group is but i've gotten rid of a couple things (and found a couple things on our melbourne group). basically you post things you want to give away for free. people email you and you arrange a time for them to pick up the item. its just a way of keeping things out of the dump that are still useful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shawna, I've actually registered for that have yet to make my first offer. I find it so much easier to donate to our local Salvation Army Thrift Store. They've just moved into a big new store and need stuff to fill it up - to sell - to give back to the various needs of people in our community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you! I cant wait to see the new colour but I really liked the old colour too!! I want to purge this spring.......we should have a garage sale!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and keep me in mind for any old tupperware!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. True live tupperware has a lifetime waranty. you can return it for stuff you do use/need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, whoever you are, I'm aware of TW's warranty policy and these items do not apply. I'm happy to share them with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea Rach! Ganbatte, ne! (In Japanese that means something like, "fight", "perservere".)
    We are currently trying to "simplify" our 4 lives into 8 suitcases and 4 carry-ons in order to come home in July. Wish us luck!
    (It is a good reason to get to update our wardrobe when we get back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate getting rid of stuff. But i do agree that after a "purge" there is a sense of cleaness and organization. since we moved into my dad's house for a few month....I have been purging many a things that have been here for 4-19 years.
    Have fun cleaning!
    Tammy
    I would love to see before and after pictures of your kitchen painting

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how much one little family can actually have! I didn't realize until we moved. I think you learn to "stuff" things in places and then it's pretty easy to forget about what you have. I LOVE cleaning and getting rid of things but I am married to a hoarder(is that a word?) so it makes for interesting "purges". Have fun! Speaking of spring cleaning, it really is starting to feel a bit like the season is changing. I actually saw someone wearing flip flops yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just thought I'd let you know that I stopped by again for a boo!

    Oprah? Gotta love her and the book does sound good.

    I also thought that banana soother/teething thingy majig from a couple posts ago looked real interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for my tupperware! I will make Aiden eggs tonight and test it out!

    ReplyDelete