
We don't do much to celebrate Valentine's Day. After the festivities of our birthdays, Christmas, Anniversary and New Year's ... we're not quite ready for another celebration. (This is why we have summer babies, so there's something to celebrate the rest of the year!) But we did acknowledge the day early, last week when Hubby & I went on a date to the Chocolate Festival. What a treat! We were greeted in the lobby the ladies of our local
Red Hat Society.
These are two of my favourite Red Hats, although neither were at the Chocolate Festival. This was taken during Seafest weekend. (Yes, those are turnips and sourkraut in the background.) My parents got a reminder of small town life that weekend, when it seemed the whole town was out and about. We couldn't get far walking down the street or even through the produce section at Safeway without finding someone to greet and, of course, chit chat with. After a while we just said "hello" and kept on walking!
The highlight of the chocolate festival was the chocolate fountain in the centre of the room. I stood there so long with my friend that Paul decided to go into the theatre to sit for a while. Strawberries, bananas, rice krispie squares (much too sweet) and PRETZELS. Oh, and mini cream puffs too, but they were still too cold. The strawberries were the best. (There was a white chocolate fountain too that was kind of disappointing.)The desserts were set up in a buffet style with samples of EVERYTHING. The strangest things were deep fried wontons with chocolate ganache inside (blech!) and the chocolate chili. Yuck - it tasted like chili but was just a little different colour. Very unappetizing. A white chocolate lemony thing was a standout but it wasn't long until all the little samplings started to be a bit much. To top the evening off ... free ice cold milk!
PZ has a busy week with meetings and events, and youth group doesn't stop for Valentine's Day, so I'm home alone with the boys tonight. Don't feel sorry for me, they give me plenty of love! We're also in the middle of painting and purging the kitchen so we'll celebrate "Renovations Are Over Day" when the house is put back together. :)
Finally an update! Ok, just kidding. I cant help that I am becoming obsessed and check for updates 19 times a day! Happy Valentines Day to you!
ReplyDeleteOh and that picture of Max is way too cute! I just want to squeeze him!
ReplyDeleteThat is a cute shirt!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the valentine's thing. i'd rather celebrate my anniversary or just get flowers just because, than on v-day! :)
enjoy your evening.
Jade had that same shirt bought for him last year at this time from his Auntie! Very cute! And a chocolate party sounds like my dream date. Daniel's valentines date is putting his boys to bed as I have a course at our church.
ReplyDeleteOh well, I got a nice card and a magazine(my favorite downtime reading) so what more could I want?? Happy Valentines Day:)
We're not big on Valentines either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it or anything. I agree with Kelly in that I would rather get flowers "just because!" So Reid and I are doing nothing!
ReplyDeleteA chocolate Fest sounds right up my alley!!! :)
ReplyDeleteHey, this was the first I'd seen of your "tickers" on the top of your blog... so right off the bat i thought "Ohhhh... a baby?!!" Nope. That's okay! You have lots of time and besides Marty is only 8 mon 3 days old.
What a cute picture! That will be a good one to take out and show off for his wedding. :)
ReplyDeleteAll that chocolate sounds yummy!
Max is one cute little man! Glad the shirt still fits...lots of love from his flat land lady friend, Kai. She was going to send him a little valentine - but she got sick so it didn't happen. But she sends her love to all the Z's and hopes to see at least a few of them soon!
ReplyDeleteoh wow- chocolate festival wounds delightful!!! my mouth is watering just hearing all about it- except for the weird stuff...have you been to the gelato shop in vancouver that has like 200 flavours? jonathan's favourite is chocolate chilli- he buys it by the bucket- gross!!! happy v-day rach!
ReplyDeleteI'm ready for a new post!!
ReplyDelete