I really had to laugh when Ashley left a message on my phone saying "I'm really not calling to ask about the baby, just want to know how everyone is doing ... " Nice try Ash!
The good news of the day is that the power has come back on. It was actually quite a nice day. After dropping Max off at school, Marty and I came home. I convinced him to play on his own (interspersed with a few snuggles) while I kept warm and snoozed on the couch. We got Max from school and went to McD's with a friend and his mom and then came home to a quiet chilly house. This made it very easy to convince Max to nap at the same time as Marty. After I finished my cup of tea I dozed off too, until Max came in my room at 3:00, announcing that the power was back on. How Marty slept through their bedroom light popping on and Max getting out of bed is beyond me. I forgot to check that it was off before putting them down. Marty is still sleeping an hour later!
My friend and I were quite perturbed by another mom at McD's. She was there with her two boys. I heard her say that the older boy was 4 and the younger one seemed about 1.5-2, definitely younger than Marty. I think Marty may have had a bit of an altercation with the little one out in the lobby, where they were all looking at the toys (that I chose not to include with their meal). I didn't actually see what happened, but the little boy was on the floor looking up at Marty. I would not be surprised if he pushed him over. I don't like that behaviour, but really, what could I do? What's done was done, and the boy didn't seem too upset by it. A minute later Marty was getting a bit pushy again so I stepped in right away and made him apologize. The mom saw this and didn't really give any reaction. When we were all in the play area, after quite a while of happy play, my friend noticed (from what she could tell) the other mom grab Marty's shirt from the back of his neck and pull him out from climbing up into the play structure. We stopped our conversation just to see what was happening. It seemed like she was getting ready to go and the little boy was "stuck" in the structure. I heard her tell her older boy "just push him down". I assumed she was referring to his little brother who was probably too scared to go down the slide. Then as our friend (Kooper) went to go back into the structure, she grabbed him by the arm and pulled him out. My friend stood up right away and said "Please don't handle my child." The lady said she had asked Kooper several times not to go in as her little guy was stuck. My friend repeated her comment that it's not necessary for her to handle someone else's child, and if there was a problem, please speak to the parent, not take matters into her own hands. She finally crawled into the structure herself to rescue the boy and left in a huff and in a hurry. Can you believe it?! On the way home I asked Max if she said or did anything to him. He said she just kind of squished him when she was crawling through the tunnel to help the little boy. I'm sorry lady, if your kid is too little to play there, that's your problem - it's not your place to keep everyone away (by physically removing them!) from your stranded child. Sheesh! I'm sure many of you have had similar playplace run-ins.
And in baby news ... nothing. Notta. Neusht. My next midwife appointment isn't until Thursday, but I may call tomorrow to see if I can get in for a quick check of ... you know ... things. It's Paul's birthday tomorrow, and it would be nice if baby waits till at least 12:01 am on the 17th. :)
just checking in. again.
ReplyDeleteI remember your daily check-ins as well 22 months ago or so!!
Other parents drive me nuts sometimes.
I have had almost the exact same thing happen where I had to say 'Hey don't touch my kids!'
ReplyDeleteAny baby yet? lol
a girl has got to try! Glad your power is back on and thinking of you. happy Birthday Paul!!
ReplyDelete