Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I lied.

I didn't say anything earlier as I wanted to talk to midwife Erin and see what she had to say. I started having contractions at about 6:30 this morning. They've been steady ever since, about 3-4 minutes apart, but only 20-30 seconds long. Erin wants to hear from me when they're closer to 50 seconds long. The boys are having great fun with Oma, and Paul is on his way home from work. I've "released" my doula from her commitment to be with me for this birth. She lives in the town of many, many hills, and considering the snowfall we got overnight that is still dumping down, we decided she should stay home and enjoy Christmas with her family. We both feel better about deciding that. There was no longer any point in "wait and see", as she really didn't want to get stuck out here. I'm totally fine with that. It would have been nice to have her there, especially since I'm considering taking the doula course when my boys are all in school. It would have been nice to experience a birth with a doula, but I guess it was not meant to be. I'm not feeling like I really need the extra support, as my Hubby is a fantastic birth companion. With Erin there as well, I'll be adequately supported.

Erin doesn't think it was the cervidil that got labour going, as I didn't start contractions until well after the drug would have worn off. I feel good about that, baby will come when baby will come - no matter how I try to arrange things. (But it still would be nice to get the corner room with the soaker tub, and have this baby today!)

So, that's that.

9 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just a reminder that I am within walking distance from the hospital and have had natural childbirth if you need "support". I would be there in an instant for you. Still praying for you that this would go fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're great, Lizzie! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean - I'm glad you WERE lying and that birth is imminent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you, Rachel. I was so tempted to call you yesterday, just to wish you well. I kind of wish I had, just to bless you as you wait, but I figured you probably have had tons of "babyyet?" phone calls and I didn't like them much.
    peace,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you'll be missing out on Christie - she was great. But I'm glad to hear you're at peace with the decision, and confident in Paul and Erin's support.
    I REALLY hope you get the room with the soaker tub :) Can't wait to hear the news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been hoping that today would be the day!! I hope that you are enjoying your Christmas Eve.......one of the most special I am sure and perhaps soon to be very special for years to come!! Merry Christmas to you and your family......praying for a good, fast labour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was hoping that things would slow down from the drug point of view because baby will come when he/she is good and ready!....and i know all about the effects of "helping" things along (they aren't good)--but fortunatly it always ends well--with baby in arms! I am pretty happy for you and paul...i have such fun memories of that great hubby of yours, we shared lots of laughs on that boat at qwanoes.....enjoy your miracle journey!!

    ReplyDelete