Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Let the games begin!

As I was growing weary of taking Max's diaper off and on (or putting it back on after he sneakily took it off himself), I decided it's time to break out the tighty whities for my little son. We began setting the timer to remind us to trot to the pot every 10 minutes. There we would sit for 5-10 minutes, reading a story, eating an orange, touching baby's head. We made several trips this morning but no action yet. As he ran past me once I thought I caught a whif of something suspicious. Indeed, he had pooped. So we went off to the pot again just to be sure. No action. Just as I was remembering that one can never poo without then going pee, he peed on the floor. I unlatched the baby and off we went again to make sure he was finished. By then it was naptime. It took a little convincing to put the diaper on for naptime but he conceded. I put some shorts on too for extra measure in case he tries to go commando in his bed. I have great hopes that the first pee on the potty will come shortly after nap time. I've upped the time increments to 15 minutes as it was a little much to go every 10. (Except for the time I missed it by about 4 minutes!) He was quite thrilled to show off his underwear to Daddy at lunchtime.

Marty has been a very considerate baby the last two nights, sleeping from 10ish to 6ish! I hope the fuller belly is making a difference. I also forgot to mention in his 6 month report that he loves to squeal. Maybe shreik is a better word. He also kind of squawks. Often when he wakes from a sleep he doesn't cry. Just coos, squeals, shrieks or squawks. Did I say that we've also been practicing sitting? He's getting stronger with that as well.

6 comments:

  1. Good Luck with the potty training! Sounds like you've been spending a lot of time in the bathroom today... could be worse though at least your not in there because on of you is sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rachel
    welcome to potty traning. bots are hard!! i remember when we started potty training almost a year aao. Rawley had many many accidents. We washed many many tighty whities :) but when they finally get it, they are so proud of themselves and you are so proud of them too. Hope all goes well in potty land!
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh...most exciting times in the zalinko house! hope it happens soon for you.
    so glad to hear marty's sleeping longer! keep it up, marty...mommy needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo... at christmastime yet. i don't envy you there. hope he gets it quick for the sake of all of your sanity. I found getting josh to drink a big cup of juice, and then sitting on the toilet about 1/2 hour later until the pee happened worked for us. then we made a SUPER big deal about it with verbal praise and he was thrilled. We continued to use pullups for a couple of months because i got sick of the extra laundry from mistakes. they have ones with patterns on them that disappear when he has an accident. josh got a kick out of seeing how long he could "keep his airplanes". plus we were training at christmastime too, and i just couldnt be home enough to let him pee his pants. its one thing if youre at home -- quite another out in public.
    So this christmas you'll be getting... an extra load of patience... hooray! i know i really needed mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!! What a big step for Max. I cant wait to hear all about this process. You can teach me when the time comes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh boy! sounds like you are a brave woman! i guess it has to happen sometime..
    and good job marty!!! we LOVE sleep

    ReplyDelete